HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Does age Matter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Komaeda Nagito
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Server : IE
Male Posts : 1320

PostSubject: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm

I had about 4 people talking about if Age matters when running a IT Server the other day and wanted to see your thoughts on it.

Does age matter?
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't care as long as they know what they're doing

Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Draak
Female Posts : 681

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 pm

I think it does and doesn't at the same time.

Mostly because MOST of the young teens aren't mature enough (yet) to handle drama/situations/leadership on servers, but then again you can get the odd mature young teenager who can. Age doesn't necessarily equal maturity.

And then also it's what Redeye said, it's fine as long as they know what they're doing. It's when you see noobs trying to run/make servers, especially those that don't read, that make you go "no stop" and want to make you toss your keyboard out the window.
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

Game username : Meadowstar (or sometimes Meadowstar01)
Female Posts : 1167

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 pm

In my opinion, for the most part, age should not matter in any way shape or form. One thing I've REALLY been getting irritated about, is how people think that "Oh, well Age=Maturity, so GTFO NOW!!". Really? I've seen people who are about my age, or even younger, and they actually knew what the hell they were doing. I do have to agree, this may have been going a bit far. However, age partially does matter in a way, because if someone is too young to get on, then that could possibly cause some problems with the COPPA law. Neutral
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

Game username : FagonStar
Server : Impressive Whatchamacallit
Female Posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Personally, I think it all just comes down to maturity.

Because you could be an adult, and still be immature, whiny and not know what-the-derp you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 380

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 pm

In my experience, 2 truths scream at me.

You can claim to be as mature as you like, but the younger you are when making that claim, the more likely you are to be incredibly stuck-up.

And no matter how many people tell me someone older is immature, they tend to be the most relate-able and pleasing to work with.

I would rather work around someone who was relate-able, instead of some-one who was stuck-up.

Age matters.

You kiddies who sneak around behind your parents backs? How is that supposed to make me trust you with anything?

No thank-you.

under 16? go friggin play outside. It is friggin beautiful out there. No excuses. Play in the god-danged rain for crying out loud! News-flash: IT WON'T KILL YOU.
Back to top Go down
Komaeda Nagito
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Hamilton wrote:

You can claim to be as mature as you like, but the younger you are when making that claim, the more likely you are to be incredibly stuck-up.

And no matter how many people tell me someone older is immature, they tend to be the most relate-able and pleasing to work with.

I would rather work around someone who was relate-able, instead of some-one who was stuck-up.

Age matters.

You kiddies who sneak around behind your parents backs? How is that supposed to make me trust you with anything?

No thank-you.

under 16? go friggin play outside. It is friggin beautiful out there. No excuses. Play in the god-danged rain for crying out loud! News-flash: IT WON'T KILL YOU.

I agree with this statement these 13 and 15 yr old users should probably be focusing more on their social life and homework then running a game.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:15 pm

Eyes Rutherford wrote:
Hamilton wrote:

Age matters.

No thank-you.

I agree with this statement these 13 and 15 yr old users should probably be focusing more on their social life and homework then running a game.

If you think they have to be older that's fine.

But I'd rather work with a dedicated, intelligent 14 year old than a 17 year old who can't make up their mind on whether they want to continue or not, or even bother to help for crisp's sake. *grumbles about unnamed person*

/has personal experience with lazy, not-dedicated-at-all older people
Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:55 pm

I think every single one of these servers need to get off their lazy unoriginal butts and actually do some real development despite the age of the Admin.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Slycan wrote:
I think every single one of these servers need to get off their lazy unoriginal butts and actually do some real development despite the age of the Admin.

Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
Komaeda Nagito
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Slycan wrote:

We need a Like button
Back to top Go down
Classique

Female Posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Hamilton wrote:

Age matters.

No thank-you.

Had I realized and took advice like that I think I'd be a more productive individual. Moderation is key. The more stuck you are on the computer the more immature you'll see people get because they've lost the social skills to really adequately understand situations.

I'll be the first to admit that this can consume you (but I've been consumed by other games before) and taking a thing of fresh air is also good for a server and staff. The more everyone sticks in each others faces the ruder they get regardless of age. What I feel more is an age gap between those of us that are 20+ and talking to kids in their teens. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with the stuck-up kids and work with them. In my experience it made me so entirely frustrated I didn't want to fuck with "little" children in my eyes. I became stuck-up because everyone around me IS stuck-up.

So I agree. To every degree the age is a huge factor because of experience in social situations. But even us old folk can be immature.
Back to top Go down
Spottedlion10

Game username : Spottedlion10
Server : Skaiya Administrator
Female Posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Classique wrote:
Hamilton wrote:

Age matters.

No thank-you.

Had I realized and took advice like that I think I'd be a more productive individual. Moderation is key. The more stuck you are on the computer the more immature you'll see people get because they've lost the social skills to really adequately understand situations.

I'll be the first to admit that this can consume you (but I've been consumed by other games before) and taking a thing of fresh air is also good for a server and staff. The more everyone sticks in each others faces the ruder they get regardless of age. What I feel more is an age gap between those of us that are 20+ and talking to kids in their teens. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with the stuck-up kids and work with them. In my experience it made me so entirely frustrated I didn't want to fuck with "little" children in my eyes. I became stuck-up because everyone around me IS stuck-up.

So I agree. To every degree the age is a huge factor because of experience in social situations. But even us old folk can be immature.

I agree to all of this. I have heard about these arguments from 13 and younger IT users and they have always asked me, "Is this a 13+ server?" I always say yes because I am unsure, plus Most servers are.

Most people tell me that IT servers are created by 20 and up users for 13 and under users to play...

THAT IS A LIE.

There are 15 year olds who are just genius and know how to code. And there are members to those servers who are 21 and above.

So nobody can say that about the creators and the users.

Anyway, age matters for maturity and for social standards.
Back to top Go down
http://www.it-ressurection.proboards.net
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:00 am

I say as long as they're not f***ing stuck-up idiots who think they know everything, own everything and can do everything themselves with absolutely no help (When they disparately need it), over the age of 13 (some 14/15/16 year olds can be quite mature, but I am 17 and I've had many people say I'm mature for my age while majority 16/17/18 year olds I know are still very immature), ready to accept defeat when something has gone wrong, ready to suffer consequences of their actions and open to critique and guidance from those with more experience than themselves...

.... then I have no issue with them running servers.

Age only matters maturity and knowledge wise.
I was running a semi-large roleplaying site at the age of 13 and the team enjoyed working with me and the site itself simply because, as I said, others (I will not claim it myself in this post simply because you could all just as well say "well that's what you think but I reckon others don't think that") believe I am far more mature than most my age...

if you spend years on forums like I have and many of you likely have, you get experience. Another great thing to have.

Back to the topic - so long as they're not immature and ready to face consequences and ask for help when needed (by this I mean after they've attempted very hard to do whatever they're having trouble with themselves first), I support their willingness to try.
Back to top Go down
.Kaye.

Game username : Thunderstar (old), .Kaye., KayeThings
Female Posts : 218

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am

Ah, like redeye said, I don't think age matters unless you're a really immature person. My parents have parental controls and mess like that and I am going to be 13 in a month, and never trust me because they are well, 'tarded. Anyway, because of this parental controls junk, some of my friends are trying out for server host and I can make maps, auras, code, texture, and do various things with IT. I may re-open RoT if it all turns out OK. But, nonetheless, I know (for the most part) what I am doing.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 am

Thunderstar wrote:
Ah, like redeye said, I don't think age matters unless you're a really immature person. My parents have parental controls and mess like that and I am going to be 13 in a month, and never trust me because they are well, 'tarded.

Don't think it's very mature to dismiss your parents wishes, and calling them out of name, especially if your living under their roof and eating their food using their money, however.

That's not what he meant.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:54 am

If someone knows what they're doing and they do it well, age should be no factor.

If someone is a whiny, spoiled, stuck-up brat no matter how old they are then it matters. Age is not so much the problem on IT servers as maturity is, I think.

Some people act like 2 year olds, some act like old heads on young shoulders. So is age what we're discussing or maturity?

If a 12 year old really wants to run a server and actually knows what they're doing then I say good for them. But they better choose staff wisely or things might still fall in a heap.

If a 20 year old wants to run a server and has absolutely no idea and runs around like a headless chicken...

Yeah, those are my thoughts. XD
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:32 pm

ObeyTheFist wrote:
If someone knows what they're doing and they do it well, age should be no factor.

If someone is a whiny, spoiled, stuck-up brat no matter how old they are then it matters. Age is not so much the problem on IT servers as maturity is, I think.

Some people act like 2 year olds, some act like old heads on young shoulders. So is age what we're discussing or maturity?

If a 12 year old really wants to run a server and actually knows what they're doing then I say good for them. But they better choose staff wisely or things might still fall in a heap.

If a 20 year old wants to run a server and has absolutely no idea and runs around like a headless chicken...

I don't think I could have said it better myself. xD
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

Game username : Meadowstar (or sometimes Meadowstar01)
Female Posts : 1167

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:48 pm

ObeyTheFist wrote:

Great point there, Obey.
Back to top Go down
Spottedlion10

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Meadowstar wrote:
ObeyTheFist wrote:

Great point there, Obey.

This is a great point here, because maturity and age are two different matters. I believe that maturity is the most important because i work on two servers run by users who are either my age or younger and they know what they are doing, truet me. some people can be smart at a young age, and dumb at an old age.
Back to top Go down
Spottedlion10

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Eyes Rutherford wrote:
Hamilton wrote:

Age matters.

No thank-you.

I do agree with this aswell because i am 15 and will be 16 in 5 weeks. Some people have gotten mad at me for not being on the forums or game like i should be...

EFFING NEWS FLASH : IM SO DAMN FOCUSED ON HOMEWORK I DONT HAVE TIME TO BE STARING AT A COMPUTER SCREEN CHASING PIXELS. THATS WHAT THE WEEKEND IS FOR. WHEN I GET HOME AFTER SCHOOL, FROM EXTRACIRRICULAR WORK OR TUTROING I JUST WANNA EAT AND STICK MY FACE INTO A PILLOW.

-cough- now that im done ranting, if we had more younger users who were devoted to studying and homework during the week and game playing on the weekedn, we wouldnt have all these immaturity problems. Wink
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

Male Posts : 353

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:41 am

Let's see here.

Running a server if you're 13 or a little over.
I don't think it really /matters/ that they're young, as long as they know what they're doing. But I can think of better things they /could/ be doing. Like homework. Working on a social life. Baking cookies.
Working for a server if you're 13 or a little over, probably a better idea. Not as much pressure on ya, leaves plenty of time for homework & life. You come home from school, do your homework, check up on a coupla' things on the server, then go to a friends house.

Running a server if you're older and have more time?
Probably better.

I guess age does matter in a certain sense.
Not in the sense that, "Oh you're 13? WELL YOU CAN'T RUN A SERVER."
But in a sense that you could be living your life a bit more before you start sitting in front of the computer all day.

But as also said, maturity is a factor as well.
--
I partially agree with these statements;
ObeyTheFist wrote:

Hamilton wrote:

Age matters.

No thank-you.

--
I'm 14 myself, and I don't fancy running or really working with any servers anymore. Totally killed my homework and free time.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 am

Running a server is hard, time-consuming and stressful. I agree, it's not really something that someone 12-13 should be worrying about. They should be hanging out at a friend's house or down the street or something.

If they want to, fine, but how many people really know what they're getting into? Do they think it's really all "I can be admin on my own server! It'll be so much fun! lol!"?

I wanted to make a server for the challenge, for the chance to learn something completely new and share it with others.

Why is it so important for these children to make one? (Hurhur, I feel old now XD)

They play these games because they're fun, no matter what age they are. I know I should get off the computer a lot more.

It's great seeing all these new servers pop up and sad when they go, especially if they were made by someone who can do so many other things besides sit in front of a screen. Why do they want to tie themselves down?

Yeah...slight topic change there. ^^;

I would like to hear more opinions from those who this age thing (13 and under) is mostly aimed at.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 am

"Why is it so important for these children to make one?"

They probably just like the important sounding title...

The power. \D
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

Male Posts : 353

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:31 pm

That's the thing Fagonstar.
I think we (the people around age 13) try to put up servers to show that we /can/ run them just as well as anyone. So that does make it partially for the title and power, yes.

(@Obey; I was 13 a few weeks ago, so I don't know if what I'm saying counts for that... xD)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does age Matter?   

Back to top Go down

Does age Matter?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: