HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Fandom stuff in servers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ThylaSteve

Game username : Steve
Server : It's a secret (for now)
Male Posts : 129

PostSubject: Fandom stuff in servers   Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm wondering how you all feel about people putting fandom stuff in servers.

I'm not a big fan of it. It often feels out-of-place and could subtract from overall originality. However I can tolerate subtle fandom references.

Last edited by Steve on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RikaCreature

Server : Dawn of Eternity Co-Owner
Female Posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: Fandom stuff in servers   Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:44 pm

legality aside, I definitely don't like it. heck, I don't even like putting like, subtle references or "knock-off brand" nods to other media. I just personally see pop culture references as cheap and immersion breaking when it comes to games. Not to mention putting stuff like memes in your game is the fastest way to date it by far. (seriously, don't do that)
Back to top Go down
ThylaSteve

Game username : Steve
Server : It's a secret (for now)
Male Posts : 129

PostSubject: Re: Fandom stuff in servers   Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:57 pm

RikaCreature wrote:
legality aside, I definitely don't like it. heck, I don't even like putting like, subtle references or "knock-off brand" nods to other media. I just personally see pop culture references as cheap and immersion breaking when it comes to games. Not to mention putting stuff like memes in your game is the fastest way to date it by far. (seriously, don't do that)

I definitely agree, nothing gives me more secondhand embarrassment than seeing an overused or outdated meme. I am guilty of putting a few memes in the server i'm working on, but I'm going to put my foot down now. I made a knockoff mew plushie item too, but i'm going to change it into a regular cat plushie. I mistakenly made those things without considering how it will effect the overall quality of the server or possible legal issues.

Sorry peeps, I'm not gonna make a Harambe critter! That meme is already outdated as is.
Back to top Go down
chevy_cheetah

Game username : chevy_cheetah(chevrolet)
Server : |~|N/A |~| Skills: Hosting, Modeling, Rigging. Age:19
Female Posts : 289

PostSubject: Re: Fandom stuff in servers   Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:05 pm

As long as the server isn't putting too much of fandom stuff then it is okay with me. I rather would be in a server with it's own originality. I for some reason would like to see a giant cat in a server. But I know that would cause too much lag. I am getting off topic. So fandom stuff is okay as long as it doesn't go over an extinct. Such as a server can have a sans character but if they based the whole game on undertale, undertale maps, undertale items, etc, that would sort of be a lot.
Back to top Go down
lazyzim

™

Server : Dragon's Den
Male Posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Fandom stuff in servers   Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:14 am

I tend to avoid the latest fads, but Obey and I at Dragon's Den, are die-hard Dr Who fans so we did make a map devoted to Dr Who. You get to this map via a Police Box and has a lot of Sci-Fi content in that particular map. Although Dr Who is copyright to the BBC our map is just a fan-tribute to our favorite TV show and has seriously no place within the Dragon's Den Lore. We could delete it if there was a problem with having it since it really is just us having a fan-gasm over our much loved show.

Players have requested MLP maps or maps based on other shows but we have refused and the remainder of our worlds are themed in Nature or Environs. Mash is a marsh, Savannah is Africa and only has African Animals, Uluru is Australia's Center, Anointed Hill is the Scottish moors and Antarctica is guess. Smile

However when it comes to the owners of any Impressive Title Server it is really up to them what they include in their game. It is really their work and their game and if they want to populate it with Nyan Cats and purple frogs then they can. If you don't like Nyan Cats and Purple frogs or prefer Pink Frogs then switch to playing that server.
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Fandom stuff in servers   Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:18 pm

While I agree with Lazy regarding "people can do what people want to do", my personal opinion is that it CAN make it look very out of place if your server ACTUALLY has a theme / lore. BUT it can also work.

Last Moon is probably a good example, off the top of my head, but LM's "charm" was that majority of the game's content in GENERAL was essentially "fan-art" of other games/shows (MLP and Slender notable examples). Or, at least at the time I was playing it, this was the impression I got. Nothing against LM, if anyone remembers the staff member 'King Sombra' with his fabulous crown and purple eye-smoke... yeah, that was me. So I can't complain.

Dragon's Den is a bit of an interesting one because of how they've handled it. As Lazy said, their tribute to Doctor Who is isolated to a single map which you can very much choose to avoid if you so wish, or join them if you're also a fan, recognising it's not part of their game's lore and only there as a fun tribute.

Personally though, the way I see it is a lot of it comes down to;

Does your server have a story behind / in it?
Do you want people to take it seriously?
Is your server based on original content?

If you answered yes to all of this, then fan-content really has no place in it and can look horribly out of place and break whatever fragment of immersion IT games can manage to lure you into.

With this all said though, subtle hints, cameos and references are an entirely other ball-game and can work very well in-games to make them more fun to people who can pick out these references without it breaking the game's theme (games like World of Warcraft do this brilliantly). You get to make a connection to whatever you're a fan of, others who are also fans will pick up on this connection and those that don't are likely to still enjoy it and believe it's just part of the game. Everyone wins without the risk of getting in trouble on the extremely rare, once in a million years chance that whoever owns whatever you're referencing doesn't like it.

That and you can be really clever with how you reference it :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fandom stuff in servers   

Back to top Go down

Fandom stuff in servers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: