HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chevy_cheetah

Game username : chevy_cheetah(chevrolet)
Server : |~|N/A |~| Skills: Hosting, Modeling, Rigging. Age:19
Female Posts : 285

PostSubject: A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:36 am

Hello.

- I was wondering if it was okay to use free models in Impressive Title servers?
Free models from sites like http://tf3dm.com/ .

Also I understand credit needs to be given as well if someone can uses these models.

- How would someone who use free models, from sites like tf3dm, give proper credit? Do they need to be in the forum credits, or in game credits?

- If someone was using something that you made, like presets, playable models, models, textures, etc, how do you prefer to be credited? Are Forum credits, with everything used with links, proper credit?

I am asking because I am unfamiliar with how proper credit works for games. I see that some servers have a forum thread/post made with credits with links to things they have permission to use and such and I would like to know how credit actually works?

Is there a format that needs to be used? For example in school we are taught we need to use a format such as APA or MLA format for papers to avoid plagiarism. Is there a way/ format that people can use to give credit?

Thank you for reading.
Back to top Go down
Kawoie

Game username : Kawoie
Server : Former KITO Administrator
Male Posts : 122

PostSubject: Re: A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:09 am

First thing first, as long as it's a free model, it is for free use.

And credits are credits, whether they are implemented ingame or on the forum, all is the same. The most proper way to credit would be linking the user instead of the model just itself, since that actually gives the person a notice or so, but linking the content and saying that you used it is practically crediting. There is no actual form for crediting as people create their own formats for it, so it's no worries. It is usually taken as stealing or using without permission if you use something but don't credit for it, as that's basically just taking the work and throwing it in the game without giving proper thank you's to the actual content creator.

Basically, my point, as long as you link the creation, or the creator who produced the model/content in general, you should be just fine, and free content can be used on any platform as long as proper credit is given.
Back to top Go down
chevy_cheetah

PostSubject: Re: A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:19 am

Okay thank you for the answer!
Back to top Go down
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 379

PostSubject: Re: A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:36 am

Quote :

- I was wondering if it was okay to use free models in Impressive Title servers?
Free models from sites like http://tf3dm.com/ .

-yes but be sure to check terms/conditions if the site has them. For example, on TurboSquid, there are many free models but the site as a whole requires that even those free models cannot be used in something like IT if they are easy to be picked out of the game-files. (as in, the files not being protected via encryption)

Quote :
Also I understand credit needs to be given as well if someone can uses these models.

- How would someone who use free models, from sites like tf3dm, give proper credit? Do they need to be in the forum credits, or in game credits?

-everyone has their own methods. In general, you want to specify what the model/texture/etc your using is (such as file name) and list the artist name given on the site you obtained it from. direct linking is also good, but works best when the credits are listed via the forum.

Quote :
- If someone was using something that you made, like presets, playable models, models, textures, etc, how do you prefer to be credited? Are Forum credits, with everything used with links, proper credit?

-personally? same as i'd said earlier. mesh/file name and then my artist name. but i also don't flat out require it so....*shrugs*

Quote :
I am asking because I am unfamiliar with how proper credit works for games. I see that some servers have a forum thread/post made with credits with links to things they have permission to use and such and I would like to know how credit actually works?

-again, everyone is different. I like to think of it as "if this was a game i purchased from the store, how would they credit their production team?" the answer being a credits list in game and at the end of the booklet insert. Minimally, a credits list thread on the main forum, visible to members and guests OR a txt file included with the game download. Maximally, a coded credits button the brings up the list in-game AND the forum list AND the txt file.

Quote :

Is there a format that needs to be used? For example in school we are taught we need to use a format such as APA or MLA format for papers to avoid plagiarism. Is there a way/ format that people can use to give credit?

-I am partial to the simple:

content --------------- artistname (optional link)

but, again again (lol, there are as many different ways to do this as there are people living on this earth. @.@
Back to top Go down
chevy_cheetah

PostSubject: Re: A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:53 am

Thank you Hamilton, this response is helpful as well. You are right that everyone is different and has their own way of crediting. It is hard to view the terms and conditions of some sites, like turbosquid and right now tf3d, as sometimes they don't always open on my browser/s. Thank you for the answer, I will keep this one in mind as well.
Back to top Go down

A Couple of Questions about free models and credit giving.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support-
Jump to: