HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Normal Map Shader

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caligosus

Male Posts : 23

PostSubject: Normal Map Shader   Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:57 am

Normal AO Specular Mapping Shader

I'm not a server owner or on a development team for a server. However, I was wondering if anyone knows how to install the shader linked above into their game. Is it as simple as putting the files in the "programs" folder, or does more need to be done?

I want to provide normal maps to go with the models I make for clients and have them actually be usable in their game.

Currently, I have a client that handed me a high poly model. I need to make a low poly version to rig and animate more smoothly, but I don't want to lose the detail that the original model has. I also don't want to give my client a normal map if they can't use it. I'm hoping someone knows how to install this so I can provide that information along with the normal map to my client, and even future clients.

Any help you guys can provide will be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://caligosus.com
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Normal Map Shader   Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:05 pm

hmm...it doesn't look like anything in it has anything to do with source. I see .cg,.program, and .material. These are all files that are found out-of-source. So you should be able to implement this either by directly adding the .cg and .program to the programs folder (prey, map objects, items) or by making modifications to the ones already used by the game (player models).

I always forget which ones are the specular, bump, and normals lol but it is possible to implement them in a similar way as the fur textures are done in FH presets by layering the textures in the material code (and possibly also converting to grayscale). But it may still lose some of the quality and only really works sans-cg changes if you are sticking to prey/mapobjects/items.
Another option is of course to just layer everything together via photoshop/paintshop/gimp, adjust for values, and then compress it all down to a single texture. But, again, that's only really effective for anything that isn't the player models. lol i'm sorry if that wasn't very helpful in the end.....
Back to top Go down
Caligosus

PostSubject: Re: Normal Map Shader   Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 pm

That's alright. Thank you so much for the response! I'll see if the .cg and .program files of the shader works first, then try an alternative if it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
lazyzim

™

Server : Dragon's Den
Male Posts : 737

PostSubject: Re: Normal Map Shader   Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:23 am

We had normals working on a test version of Dragon's Den. We found it extremely laggy and glitchy for very little in return. Clever use of material files and textures gave better results.
You will also have to update all your meshes to the latest version of Ogre.
Back to top Go down
Caligosus

PostSubject: Re: Normal Map Shader   Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Ah, thank you for letting me know.

How would one go about updating models to the latest version if ogre? Would that just require exporting models with the latest blender to ogre exporter?

If all else fails, I'll just do a texture file to show the detail of the original model.
Back to top Go down
lazyzim

™

Server : Dragon's Den
Male Posts : 737

PostSubject: Re: Normal Map Shader   Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:29 pm

You will need to run OgreMeshUpgrader.exe with each model to allow the normals to work.
But as I said lag will be the killer.
Back to top Go down
Caligosus

PostSubject: Re: Normal Map Shader   Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Hm. I'm not sure why it would be laggy unless there are issues with coding or simply one's computer hardward/software. They wouldn't have the shader if it wasn't possible to run smoothly on their own engine. But after thinking about it, since I don't know any coding, I wouldn't be able to fix any codes causing the lag if that was the case, and I also wouldn't know how to add options for players to lower the graphics if their computer can't handle it.

So... I think I'll just go with the alternative.
Back to top Go down

Normal Map Shader
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support-
Jump to: