HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Thoughts on oIT-based servers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Skulleh

Game username : Skulleh
Female Posts : 130

PostSubject: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:47 pm

It's just something I've been noticing lately. There's a lot of IT servers, but one thing I notice that I find kind of sad is the fact that so few of these servers actually have new content- and one of those "new content" things I'm talking about is the bodies.

Everyone seems to be using the oIT bodies when they make new servers, or even use everything from oIT. I see a lot of servers that are made with the purpose of "sticking close to oIT".

But... there's already numerous servers like that. Why keep making more oIT servers? Why not try something new?

There are so many servers with the "sticking close to oIT" theme that it's kind of upsetting, really. I find the use of the oIT bodies to kind of contradict the point of making a new server in the first place, because it seems like it's just a direct copy of every other server. If at least the player models aren't unique and different, how can the server really claim to be?

I mean, there's new coding like different colored markings, dual eyes, etc- but what about a change in player models? Don't the oIT models get old?

I guess I could be biased with this, but really. I'd just like to see more IT servers with custom bodies, or at least not the oIT ones. Yes, it's a lot of work- but it takes work to start up any successful game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.warriors-moonrise.freeforums.net
Arzulent
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Arzulent
Server : Dragons Den (Member)
Female Posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Personally I enjoy servers with the old bodies equally to servers with new bodies. Both old and new have pro's and cons. In my honest opinion, I find myself favoring the older bodies due to the fact I still love the older Items that fit those bodies, and also the fact I've grown so used to making presets with those particular UV's. It's also a big plus for me when I can submit presets that I've previously made to a server with the older bodies. I'm really neutral on the whole thing, I'm actually paying for new body models to be made from SET and they're delightful. I think the problem Is for most people Is that they can't actually make their own unique bodies or can't afford to have them made.

Back to top Go down
Skulleh

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:08 pm

One of my things with it is just... the oIT models aren't really good looking at all in my opinion. This isn't meant to insult anyone or their servers and etc- just the oIT models really turn me off from playing a server, if that's the only model option there is. My main issue is just... the paws. I'm probably just being picky but pAWS. Paws are, for some reason, one of the main things I'll pay attention to, along with overall anatomy. This is really just a personal opinion in that regard- I just cannot stand the oIT pAWS.

But of course, that's not really the overall thread's reasoning, that's just an added bit of personal opinion on how the models look. xD

I'd just really prefer to see some servers with new bodies, instead of just re-using the same ones over and over.

also, off topic, but servers who look like they're dragon based but u cANT ACTUALLY BE A DRAGON
actually games in general that are like that like cOME ON I WANNA BE A DRAGON ;-;
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Cloud, Daydream
Server : None
Female Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:38 pm

I don't like the paws on the oIT body either, but lots of people like the oIT body especially if they've played oIT. It gives them a nostalgic feeling. So that's why I'd rather not remove it, but give options of other body parts so both sides can enjoy themselves.
Back to top Go down
Skulleh

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:44 pm

yes the option to have either oIT body or new body is good, but also remember that one server removing oIT bodies really wouldn't affect the enjoyment of those who like oIT because there are still many other servers that use the oIT bodies that they could play, while there are very few that use custom bodies.

Not suggesting for anyone to remove oIT bodies if they have a body selector, just saying that it wouldn't really affect the oIT people's enjoyment like you suggested it would. xD
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Cloud, Daydream
Server : None
Female Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm keeping the oIT bodies for sure but also offering other options. It helps satisfy both sides.
Back to top Go down
Hyper
Admin

Game username : Hyper
Server : Azoptaos
Male Posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:12 am

I think the main reason servers use the old bodies is the fact that they're free and available. It's an incredible amount of work to create your own model, and it ends up causing issues with items so you need to recreate or re-rig them all. So yeah, haha. New models are always nice, but it's a whole lotta time that most prefer to spend on other game content such as maps/coding

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 am

Yeah, guess I can understand that. Still wish there were more servers with good-quality models though- and people could always use Sly's meshes, which are just as free and available as oIT's.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:04 am

I feel like you're taking a bit of a jab at DD with that dragon body comment. I would absolutely adore having dragon body models.

Unfortunately I'm not a modeller or animator and my funds are limited.

Also it's very tricky adding new body-related content if you already have an established server. I'd love the dual eyes and multi-coloured markings too, but it's just unreasonable with DD being so large. We'd have to edit every single player file or delete everything so people can start over. (Which I'm sure they wouldn't like.)

DD currently has donations open to help Lazyzim and I pay for the huge amount of new content we're constantly adding. If someone would be willing to make us a custom dragon head/body/tail/tuft/mane/wings set for a reasonable price then I'd be on that like a shot. We just focus on the easier and cheaper things first.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
lazyzim

™

Server : Dragon's Den
Male Posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Just to add to what Obey has said.

Recently I was offered a complete Dragon Body, 8 Heads and tails but it was going to cost me $200.
Would have been great but we do not have that type of money to toss about. Our last release DD7, Obey and I spent over $500 on critters and other stuff plus coding. Half was from money donated the rest we pooled our cash which we really needed to buy things like food,etc with. Our free to play server costs me $110 per month just in bandwidth.

So yep would love some other coding done but can't even get a coder at the moment who can do what I would like done and not charge me too much.

~LazyZim~
Back to top Go down
Z_E_D

Male Posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Old Impressive Title bodies shouldn't really bother me as much as they sometimes do; mainly for the fact that I'm so used to using them it gets boring. However, I am always eternally grateful for even having bodies to mess around with for my character on any server, because I'd rather not have a ghost for a character without purpose to it.
Back to top Go down
Vιrus
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Game username : Virus
Server : Miskai
Female Posts : 486

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Honestly I like the oIT models over everything else. I'm not sure why - nostalgia, perhaps? But I always seem to nitpick at the other f2u models I find that many people use (i.e FH model, Sly's models, etc - no offense!)
The body selector option is always very good though, so people can have an option if they don't like a certain body or bodies.
Back to top Go down
Nefadozone

Game username : Nefadozone
Server : Fucko McShitpo
Male Posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Warning:

Overall? I don't mind when people use them. I appreciate and like it. Not everyone has the time to learn how to do everything, and some people simply have fond memories of IT. Do what makes you happy in the end, not what makes the community happy - lots of people pressure server owners for new models when they can't do it, or don't wish to. Not everyone has to hone every skill under their toolbelt.

I edited this post to majorly point out how much time I have put into SD. If I were to post a timeline, the development periods of this game would show all of the trial and error - scrapped code, models, textures, builds, ideas, and patience required to do this alone. It honestly couldn't be done completely alone, I was always asking questions here on KITO. Always running to google when OGRE brought me trouble. Some nights spending hours skimming through Blender tutorials to learn how to make my workflow easier.

So if you're going to tackle a revamp, don't think you can do it in a month, get ready for a year or two - if not more, of learning your way around a single game, and multiple tools and programs that may mean nothing but wasted brain space to your future gaming career.

Even if Spectrum was an idea I had in 2013, it was truly the fault of 9 years in the making of my experience with graphic design and programming, since I was a wee 12 year old Nef jr slapping spheres together in Anim8tor. Making horrible games in Gamemaker. Learning Adobe suite in school, HTML CSS and Java in Technology - Without this drive to make my own game that started festering within me when I was just a child, I could not be on the slow road to success and knowledge that I am now.

Just food for thought.
Back to top Go down
http://wildmidnight.boards.net/
Skulleh

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:20 pm

holy shit lazy, $200?? Who would charge $200 for an IT body??

Aaaaanyway... nah, it wasn't just DD I was making a small jab at, and that wasn't really meant to be offensive, either- It was actually somewhat for DD and dragon-named games in general, besides just IT. cus like, there's like a million games out there with "dragon" in the title and they seem like they're dragon based but you cANT PLAY AS THE DRAGONS AND ANDKNANDNSANNANDsasddadadnajlknNAnNJdnddanadndkjn

anyway tho, if you want I could make a dragon model for you guys for much cheaper than $200.

Back to top Go down
Kattington
®
®

Game username : Kattington
Server : Azoptaos (Co-owner)
Female Posts : 103

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Skulleh wrote:
holy shit lazy, $200?? Who would charge $200 for an IT body??

Aaaaanyway... nah, it wasn't just DD I was making a small jab at, and that wasn't really meant to be offensive, either- It was actually somewhat for DD and dragon-named games in general, besides just IT. cus like, there's like a million games out there with "dragon" in the title and they seem like they're dragon based but you cANT PLAY AS THE DRAGONS AND ANDKNANDNSANNANDsasddadadnajlknNAnNJdnddanadndkjn

anyway tho, if you want I could make a dragon model for you guys for much cheaper than $200.

$200 is actually perfectly reasonable for a completely new body made from scratch. I'm remaking Azoptaos' player models currently, and as there are 80+ animations, it has been a nearly year-long project. These projects require an immense amount of time, effort and dedication - tbh, I'd charge more than $200 if someone wanted something like what we have (made from scratch felines and canines, both have their own skeletons and animations)
Back to top Go down
https://azoptaos.boards.net/
Skulleh

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Ah... ok then. owo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on oIT-based servers   

Back to top Go down