HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

renaming body-parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 373

PostSubject: renaming body-parts   Tue 25 Aug 2015, 18:10

hi. hello. yes, it's me again. I've gotten another wild hair up my butt. I'm sorry, please bear with me one more time.

You see, at this present time, when you select a body in Myatar Legends, you are also selecting a gender. Of course, this gets a little bit confusing for players as they don't immediately know the gender is changing. And those poor unsuspecting players...end up finding their ladies sporting a uh...well...testicles Neutral

I think it's hilarious, but...that's just me. I have an odd sense of humor. Sorry.notsorry <.< However, I'm certain the players might not be as..thrilled. They have certainly voiced it before. Wanting the gender to be on it's own selector. But, I'm picky. I don't want to add a new page just for 1 selector and i don't have any plans to fill in 3 extra ones sooo

I thought perhaps I'd change the way that "Body" appears in the creation menu. Right now it's fairly straight-forward. "body1, body2, body3, etc etc", you dig? What I was envisioning...is something more like...

Body1M Body2F

or maybe BodyM1 BodyF2

or even BodyM1 BodyF1

Let's go crazy! Male1 Female1 Male2 Female2

You know...so they're named...in the selector. but still called up via meshId+tostring in the character save file. well..if possible. I only have 7 bods right now so I'm still okay on wholly renaming the meshes XD So if that's a necessity, fine. (i'd rather avoid that though just because it'd make the materials a little confusing to keep straight later on...)

So...yeah...that's pretty much it. Caaannnn you help me?
Back to top Go down
Hyper
Admin

Game username : Hyper
Server : Azoptaos
Male Posts : 479

PostSubject: Re: renaming body-parts   Wed 26 Aug 2015, 00:53

you actually don't need to rename meshes to do this (i thought so at first too)

make a function that returns the bodyID

go to the page of the selector and find the mText that displays the body

if bodyid is x set text caption to y
else if bodyid is z set caption to w

etc etc

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: renaming body-parts   Wed 26 Aug 2015, 03:01

From randomly browsing the source in the past I believe that there is already some code in the game for an originally planned gender selection. Ideally, you could then set certain bodies to appear for males and certain others for females (similar to how some manes are used on some heads and others aren't.)

That said I have extremely limited knowledge of coding so hyper's suggestions is probably both easier and better than reviving a probably broken code that's currently commented out in the source.
Back to top Go down
Mea_WolfenX

Game username : Mea_WolfenX
Server : Souls Of Legacy
Female Posts : 92

PostSubject: Re: renaming body-parts   Wed 26 Aug 2015, 05:06

I've Heard About This, There Is A "Body Selector" If You Rename The Bodies Like Say "Body1" To "Male1" "Female1" You Could Use The Selector To Just Go Through It, Even Renaming The Skinny Body To "Female Body1" ...
I personally would like to have a Little "male" Or "female" Icon In The Corner Of The Name

It Would Be Cool If Someone Could Do That Though, Select Male Or Female And The Icon Will Appear On The Corner Of Their Characters Name.

Or Even In Their Bio Or Something...

Those Are My Only Idea's
Back to top Go down
http://SoulsOfLegacy.boards.net
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: renaming body-parts   Wed 26 Aug 2015, 07:07

I don't think you realise you're talking to the person who released that body selector :B
And that's currently what Myatar is using, if I recall correctly (from watching Sly's LetsPlays).

I don't think the icons are really necessary to be honest, since if players wish to make it obvious they are males or females, then they should add in their bio their gender (Gender | Age | Pride), make their name fairly obviously a certain gender (so don't call a girl leopard Dan or George nor a boy tiger Lily or Taliah), give full manes to males (like real lions) or little or no mane to females (also like real lions), etc etc.

Hammy's server is pretty much the exception with the inclusion of male parts on the male version of the bodies.

Adding an icon may simply clutter the character namespace. But that's just me, GROWL's username/charactername space is already cluttered with the inclusion of Level so it probably would be fine on a server that doesn't have levelling for a little male/female gender icon to appear there....

Good luck with that though, if you're going to try that.
Back to top Go down
Myz
Coder
Coder

Server : Last Moon(http://lastmoon.org), Dawn of Eternity(http://dawn-of-eternity.com)

PostSubject: Re: renaming body-parts   Wed 26 Aug 2015, 08:48

Don't rename meshes, just expand the meshName function in the charScreenManager. It's basically a 2 minute job.
Back to top Go down
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 373

PostSubject: Re: renaming body-parts   Wed 26 Aug 2015, 13:34

Oh wow, was I ever over-thinking it XD

Thanks, to all of you for your help and suggestions.

I had considered adding an extra sort of icon but...it goes against the whole "keep it simple" feel for the game. (if i could get away with it, i'd have made all the name tags go away instead of just the usernames. lol) Honestly, with as much differences as there can be for male/female, i don't think anything extra is needed atm. The bodies are physically different, even the masks are different now thanks to Nala (<3), head shapes are different, full vs tuft manes. What more could you need to discern someones gender? XD
Back to top Go down

renaming body-parts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support-
Jump to: