HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Does it cost money to make an IT server?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Catacaramel

Game username : Catacaramel
Female Posts : 1

PostSubject: Does it cost money to make an IT server?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:56 pm

I was thinking about possibly making an IT server, and I'll need to know this if I do. I don't exactly have many since I'm a couple years away from something I could do for money. If it's paying for people to code/create things for the game, then it doesn't really matter since I could just possibly work with some friends or something. If it's something like paying to have the server even running, then that's something to worry about. Although it doesn't follow the subject and I as of now know nothing about creating an IT server, I don't know how to keep it running all the time if it's like a Minecraft server where you have to open the server. I suppose if it's like that then a friend could possibly run it, but anyways... If anything does cost money, please also mention how much it costs. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Cloud, Daydream
Server : None
Female Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Does it cost money to make an IT server?   Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:03 am

Well, the actual server itself costs no money, but hosting it'll raise your bill and also you might have to pay for a hoster if you're not hosting. Also getting good critters and items will cost money. But if you plan to have a nice private server without too much development then you won't be needing money.
Back to top Go down
Tattoo

Game username : Tattoo
Female Posts : 164

PostSubject: Re: Does it cost money to make an IT server?   Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:05 am

//Removed the italic as it made it difficult to read.

Commissions= money
Having the server up= using bandwidth for some= money
Hosting (if not hosting yourself)= money

You might need to look at http://www.kitopen.com/t900-nowe-s-guide-for-compiling-impressive-title-for-dummies-download-up?highlight=guide+for+dummies to see what youre gonna be dealing with and such.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Does it cost money to make an IT server?   Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:12 am

If you're not old enough to get a job then you're not the one paying the bills so it won't cost you a cent.

If you take a look at the guides and tutorials and read up on everything involved in making an IT server and decide you still want to then I would clear it with whoever pays the internet bill.

Raknet, which is what IT servers use to connect to the net and sync everybody up online, uses a fair amount of bandwidth. If you don't have unlimited internet and you're on a plan for a certain amount of MB/GB per month then I would definitely ask the person who pays the bills as it will cost you.

As others have already stated, only the bandwidth will cost you unless you want to buy things already made or you want to commission someone for critters/prey/maps etc. If you want new things but can't afford much then learning to do what you can yourself will save you heaps! :3

Good luck if you do go ahead with it~!
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Does it cost money to make an IT server?   Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:06 pm

ObeyTheFist wrote:
If you're not old enough to get a job then you're not the one paying the bills so it won't cost you a cent.

Need to make it clear that you MUST check with whoever pays your internet bill (parents) if it's okay + safe to host your server- even if it's private.

Doing so without consent may cause major issues for you and your parents.

Because regardless of whether you or your parents pay, there may be other reasons why you can not host a server (such as limited data, network restrictions, firewall restrictions, etc.).

Also, friendly reminder doing it behind their back is also very wrong.

edit: if you know nothing of creating an IT server and are worried about the costs, perhaps focus on learning something easier that doesn't cost money?

3d models
3d animating
drawing
making maps
etc.

So much easier and means that there's a good chance another server already running will hire you and you won't have to pay anything. You also wont have to deal with the stress of running one all by yourself.

Otherwise, good luck.
Back to top Go down

Does it cost money to make an IT server?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support :: Solved Support Issues-
Jump to: