HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Thoughts on Our Attitude

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Our Attitude, how do you view it? (Multiple Answers Enabled, You can changed your answer any time)
Caring/Kind
11%
 11% [ 8 ]
Welcoming
8%
 8% [ 6 ]
Tolerant
5%
 5% [ 4 ]
Patient
8%
 8% [ 6 ]
Role Models/Great Examples
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Angry/Aggressive
18%
 18% [ 13 ]
Cautious/Scared
5%
 5% [ 4 ]
Intolerant
14%
 14% [ 10 ]
Impatient
18%
 18% [ 13 ]
Pathetic/Disgraceful
4%
 4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 74

AuthorMessage
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Since it's been rather obvious people don't read entire threads before they find a particular sentence they don't agree with and start ranting and raving their responses to it.... I am going to make this first bit, very, very clear. I am not denying I have been acting this way as well, and for that I am sorry.

Now, to the topic at hand;

Over the past... 6 months? 12 months? perhaps, KITO has, as always, seen a growth of new members eager to try their hand at making an IT server. In the past "veterans" of IT content making have been exceptionally helpful, reliable and kind towards providing answers, help, tutorials and, as many people are even more so grateful for, free content.....

...but many of us have grown tired of repetitive questions to things that should be easy to figure out yourself if you spent 20 seconds in the support/tutorial sections or used that wonderful flashing search button at the top of the website.... in fact more than half of these questions have simple common sense answers. People asking for highly intricate things to be made for them for free with the expectation they'll be done within hours, exclusive to their server and all rights reserved for them.

It didn't really occur to me how bad we had got with our attitude towards clueless, confused or simply people asking for a little bit of help (and I mean a little bit; asking for something like an entirely new code or player model for free is still outlandish- such as a recent example of a complex code request), until earlier when someone asked for a map object and after receiving responses such as "I hope you're going to be paying for it" and "people aren't going to make something so complicated ((which it wasn't, I might add)) for free, you know", someone kindly made them an extremely quick and simple version of exactly what they wanted for free. Said users know who they are and to the person who provided this service, we thank you.

But our attitude has become rather terrible, and I want to take this moment to see that everyone realises it. For a community centered on the purpose of providing help and assistance in Keeping one of our favourite games Open many of us, through frustration as mentioned earlier, have become extremely aggressive towards new people. It has got to the point where we are quite frankly, demoralising and people are getting up and leaving because we're upsetting would-be future great content makers for a mistake they quite honestly didn't realise they were making.

Yes thieves, liars, hackers and whatnot constantly test our patience and they do sometimes deserve what they get initially, and is a massive reason behind why a lot of used-to-be free services are now paid services, but we shouldn't be taking it out on new people when they have no idea KITO is somehow a "P2P" based board or GTFO, rather than a free and helpful forum with additional pay-for-benefits (basically things like entirely new codes, player models- the kind of things that take hours upon hours upon days to work on).

I'm not saying stop commissions, because it's great we've come to the point where people are happily paying others to create content for their beloved games, this is really an achievement to see that KITO and IT games are seen as "worth putting money into". What DOES need to stop, is the way we are handling responses to people new to the forum, such as the example above regarding a map object. We don't need to be so aggressive towards people and it's particularly noticeable in how we treat thieves. Of course they're terrible, shouldn't have done it, etc, but the way it's handled is... extremely immature, aggressive and unnecessary. Again, same with people asking stupid questions (I'm sorry, but they are stupid questions if they've been answered before multiple times and have said answer 5th on the list of the support section board). Link them to the answer and be done with it, no need for harsh responses.*

*Unless, of course, they're either deliberately doing it or have kindly been told before to use the search function and are simply refusing to use such a convenient button for god knows what reason. I mean seriously, a button that'll literally tell you almost anything you want to know? How is that a bad thing?!?!?!

This applies to thieves/hackers/etc too. Of course none of us want anything to do with them and wish them to kindly buzz off, because afterall first impressions are everything and if you steal and lie your way into the community you will forever be known by that first appearance.

Kind of just thought it was rather necessary to post this, as without someone pointing out the obvious I don't think anyone will notice- or at least, not anyone who are going to say anything (because currently the only people defying us and our attitude, are people intending on making matters worse with their own wrongdoings such as theft).

I mean, KITO is meant to be a friendly, learning community, right? .......Right?

Solutions:
Stupid question? 
DO: Post with a link to the answer (or link them to the search results page) or just re-type the answer yourself.

DON'T: Attack them for asking a repetitive question. 

Sometimes you may have misinterpreted the question and what they're asking hasn't actually been answered before they've just explained it badly. And if it has? Well you probably just saved someone from getting scared off by the angry community.

Overly Complicated Request? 
DO: Link them to people who could comply with the request via commission or wait until someone offers to do it as a commission/for free.

DON'T: Attack them for asking for something totally ridiculous for free. 

Just because someone's requested something does not mean they're not willing to pay for it. And if they aren't? Then kindly tell them they'd had more luck if they did or link them to people you know may do it for free.

If what they're asking is basically: "do this for me" then tell them KINDLY to go commission someone instead (because there is barely any difference between "tell me what to do in baby steps" and commissioning someone to do it)

Simple Request?
DO: Link them to people who could comply with the request via commission or wait until someone offers to do it as a commission/for free.

DON'T: Attack them for asking for something totally ridiculous for free. 

Just because someone's requested something does not mean they're not willing to pay for it. And if they aren't? Then kindly tell them they'd had more luck if they did or link them to people you know may do it for free.

Thieves? 
well that's never going to get solved so if someone can find a wonderful solution to this one I'll love you forever.

Don't agree with me? Share your opinions on the attitude within the community in your reply Smile

I make too many discussion posts    want me to stop making them? Say so
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Cloud, Daydream
Server : None
Female Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:12 pm

I do agree. The Impressive Wolves/WW got waay out of hand, as I'm sure most of us here know. It ended up with most people continuing to keep the thread up with fuel for the fire.

I've also seen a couple requests or help threads with people snapping at them, saying that no one's going to give it to you for free or there's a really simple answer if you just used the search button in some type of format.

Some people don't have the money for commissions and aren't able to make their requested item themselves. The world needs more people who enjoy doing things to make others happy, like spending 5 minutes of their time making a quicky map item for someone who really needs/wants it.

The community seems a little... fresh after the incidents with identity-changers, thieving servers (Browse the basket sometimes. Lots of drama in there ;D) etc. So they're snapping back at anyone who just doesn't know the answer to the simple question and maybe hasn't tried the search button yet.

We all know the typical server landing board with those threads that are either not online, WIP, have no screenshots.. well there's snappiness there too. Instead of screaming at them, "Who's going to join a forum with no screenshots? Looks like to me this server's offline."
You could ask politely if the poster could take screenshots. "This looks pretty neat, but could you please add screenshots? Thanks!"

Just the small things. KITO gets new members daily, but not many stay because of the reaction of the older members.

I like discussions. It gives me something to do
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:18 pm

I think what people misunderstand is we're not asking people to go ahead and spend hours of their time making everything they do for free.... we're simply asking that, when you refuse someone or tell them to go commission someone for it.... to do it in a way that isn't snappy, aggressive, rude or inconsiderate. Otherwise you could well be giving the impression that you don't want them here.

First impressions work both ways. If the first few people you talk to / get a response from on KITO snap at you and you've never been on KITO before... well, you're aren't really going to want to stay, are you?

The other side of the coin is what I mentioned in smaller font- when people are doing it deliberately to annoy, upset or discourage people- both the new users asking questions/requests and the older users answering/providing (particularly recent members who have openly mocked KITO users and fully admitted to knowingly stealing content (see the 'New Private Items Checklist' for the user).
Back to top Go down
Karro

Game username : Kovii
Server : Broken Paths(Owner-Host)
Female Posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:26 pm

ShadoWolfozo wrote:
I think what people misunderstand is we're not asking people to go ahead and spend hours of their time making everything they do for free.... we're simply asking that, when you refuse someone or tell them to go commission someone for it.... to do it in a way that isn't snappy, aggressive, rude or inconsiderate. Otherwise you could well be giving the impression that you don't want them here.

First impressions work both ways. If the first few people you talk to / get a response from on KITO snap at you and you've never been on KITO before... well, you're aren't really going to want to stay, are you?
I agree. But, It would be better if people could be just a little more caring at eachother. I mean, not everyone can understand those big changes that KITO had. Long ago you could simply ask RedEye to make you server, but now you must do all the hard work yourself. Yes there were a lot of thieves, but could we just don't be so agressive towards them? Im NOT saying not ban them but..try to understand their actions. Yes there are corrupt ones, but not all of them..Try to show them right way like a friend would do even if you dont know them. That would show KITO is not just source of informations, but calm, friendly family who keeps IT open.
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Hmm.. yeah.

I always was and am the good kid in school, so being snapped at hits me like an arrow. If people were snapping at me for one simple question, I'd drop the entire idea and just leave.

If the person being snapped at admitted to their wrongdoings but don't seem to care that it's wrong and they won't stop, like in the Private Items Checklist, then, well.. yeah. (Yes, I'll admit I was a little harsh there.. but seriously, the entire post was about NOT taking the items and that's what they said they did. And they also said that they didn't care about rules.)

KITO is changing, just like the world. Most of everyone (at least in the US) has their noses stuck in iPhones, etc. People are reacting badly to bad experiences in the past, because of the things that happened earlier in time.

That's my theory why people are snapping. xDD
Back to top Go down
Claire
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Game username : SoftMoon | MissDiealot
Server : Vaellerios (admin) | Lair of the Wolf (admin)
Female Posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 pm

This is what I've seen from the 'veterans'/'elder' members since I've joined, when browsing the support, basket and other sections. Some of them are aggressive and snaps the newer user who didn't use the search button or did a simple mistake. It doesn't apply to every veteran.. ...Though some of them are. KITO is suppose to be a calm and friendly family as Karro said, and should be way less aggressive towards the new users, and help them when they ask for help.
Back to top Go down
http://missdiealot.deviantart.com/
Karro

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Cloud wrote:
Hmm.. yeah.

I always was and am the good kid in school, so being snapped at hits me like an arrow. If people were snapping at me for one simple question, I'd drop the entire idea and just leave.

If the person being snapped at admitted to their wrongdoings but don't seem to care that it's wrong and they won't stop, like in the Private Items Checklist, then, well.. yeah.

KITO is changing, just like the world. Most of everyone (at least in the US) has their noses stuck in iPhones, etc. People are reacting badly to bad experiences in the past, because of the things that happened earlier in time.

That's my theory why people are snapping. xDD
Yeah..Being good ruined me many times but heh Im still stupid good xD
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:39 pm

The incidents, the drama, all of that, that's in the basket now, is behind us. We can drop it. There's no need to keep snapping at innocent people trying to work with difficult source code.

KITO has seen such an influx of model requests (Mine included, thanks Slycan Very Happy), server-making requests, everything. And there's also misunderstandings, like the staff thread. People are getting fed up with it and needlessly yelling at people who just don't know.

I think I've discussed too much
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:39 pm

The thing a lot of newer active members need to understand is that, older "IT Veterans" have been getting the same repetitiveness a hell of a lot longer than you guys have even heard of KITO for and it gets to the point where if you see it again, you just snap. Instantly.

It makes it slightly more understandable.

Regardless, this is still wrong, as Two Wrongs do not make a Right.

However, what truly does aggravate people is when the people asking for help are not even attempting to try to do it themselves first. And are instead asking for it for free on a silver platter. I'm talking the larger more time-demanding requests, not the little ones.

Regarding earlier events such as mega packs of free content, people setting up servers for others for free, it just came down to time. People who once did all these things now don't have the time...

That said, if you do it all yourself... it feels that much more like you've truly achieved making your own server- with or without a team Smile (which is what KITO now encourages)
Back to top Go down
Karro

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:46 pm

ShadoWolfozo wrote:
The thing a lot of newer active members need to understand is that, older "IT Veterans" have been getting the same repetitiveness a hell of a lot longer than you guys have even heard of KITO for and it gets to the point where if you see it again, you just snap. Instantly.

It makes it slightly more understandable.

Regardless, this is still wrong, as Two Wrongs do not make a Right.

However, what truly does aggravate people is when the people asking for help are not even attempting to try to do it themselves first. And are instead asking for it on a silver platter. I'm talking the larger more time-demanding requests, not the little ones.

Regarding earlier events such as mega packs of free content, people setting up servers for others for free, it just came down to time. People who once did all these things now don't have the time...

That said, if you do it all yourself... it feels that much more like you've truly achieved making your own server- with or without a team Smile (which is what KITO now encourages)
If you just take all free content and do nothing yourself. You basicaly DIDN'T DO ANYTHNG. If you want to make game and to people enjoy in it, move your ass and start to work.
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Kind of like I said. The whole server compile request board is closed now, because people just don't have time anymore.

People have lives behind the computer screen and they might have gotten married. Had a child. Things that are more important than their digital life.

Patience is also shrinking - they try one time to compile then give up and ask someone else to do it. This has been happening for years. So those people, like RedEye, who've been here from the very start, can get snippy since they've seen it for so long.
Back to top Go down
Icea

Game username : Icea
Server : Blazing Wolves (Co-Owner), Tales of Luzaris (Moderator) Canis Lupus (Mapmaker)
Female Posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 pm

i completely agree with the entire thread. i have seen countless threads where people have said semi-rude things. this is the main reason why i am a bit shy on answering questions because i might sound rude and/or i am wrong and i might get snapped at for it.

Softie, i agree with your theory, it doesn't just happen in the US, but Canada is starting the stick it's nose in iphones and such. i'm even addicted to my computer because i love socializing ^^

anyways...

it was a VERY good idea to post this, shad. i hope the community agrees with this thread Smile

i'm sorry if i put something in there that has already been posted... i'm pretty forgetful at times...
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Actually RedEye's a shining example of what the best thing to do is- especially considering he's been here since the start.

If you can help, get straight to the point and help.

If you can't, don't reply.

Bottom line: If you don't have something nice/helpful to say, stfu and gtfo.
This applies to both askers and answerers.
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 4:17 pm

(I was only use RedEye as an example of who an IT 'veteran' is xDD)
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sat May 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Not sure about you gals. But I still feel sane. I do have to read my own signature from time to time as a reminder.

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 am

I've been a mean bitch since even before kito started according to most people

I think we as a community are just sick and tired of being screwed over by either trolls,  lazy server makers, OIT politics , or over all drama about art and content being stolen. I can't blame people for going for the throat at all at this point, but it's starting to get misdirected at people who don't deserve it.

I have not seen people get snapped at alot that should have not had it coming, but when the few times I do, I almost ALWAYS see someone put out the fire and instead try to help the situation out.

Are we frustrated from past situations? Very much rightfully so.
Are we still an over all helpful community? Very much, even if there's a tongue lashing before hand.
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sun May 24, 2015 1:05 am

I agree xD
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

Game username : Meadowstar (or sometimes Meadowstar01)
Female Posts : 1167

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 am

This whole topic, ShadoWolfozo, is exactly why I haven't been posting here nearly as much. FINALLY someone gets it. I do think this community has changed alot over the last few years. In my opinion, it's gotten pretty ridiculous, but I still come on to see where Impressive Title is going anyway, because it's kinda hard to completely leave something you've been in for a few years.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Mon May 25, 2015 2:35 am

I'll admit I've been a bit harsh before, but I try to stay as polite as possible when answering questions that have answers in a help thread or that I've answered 50 bazillion times before.

It isn't easy to stay to calm and civil when the 20th person wanders past asking the most basic of questions and claiming they 'looked all over KITO and couldn't find an answer'... so you do a search here on KITO and the answer pops straight up. That annoys me.

I would say that some of the 'veterans' and people who have been here for a few years do get... impatient. (Even newer members snap at others!)

Some responses have been downright rude, but the overlapping vibe I get is just impatience.

Some people come on here and expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter while some want their hands held every step of the way. This is a frustrating outlook to deal with, but instead of snapping at these kids, we need to reign in the rage and calmly explain things.

If they get that we're not here to do everything for them and they'll learn and work, then great! If not... well, can't blame anyone for trying and their bad attitude will earn them bad responses I guess.

Patience is the key. It's a virtue. XD

If people could practice more patience before they replied to things I think things would be a lot better. And yes, I'm going to adhere to my own advice too.

~Obey~
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
Hyper
Admin

Game username : Hyper
Server : Azoptaos
Male Posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Mon May 25, 2015 3:23 am

I don't usually contribute to discussions but this one caught my eye.

I'm just gonna share my point of view on it based on my experience -

when I first joined KITO, my team appointed me the official "question-asker" since I didn't have issues socializing. However, I quickly got a very unwelcoming vibe from this place. At the time, it seemed that no one could ask for some help without getting some snarky response

however, I honestly think this impacted me more positively than anything. It made me use search, browse the sections, and actually look for the answer before creating a post. Seeing others yelled at for asking repeated questions pushed me to look for the answers on my own.

Now that obviously isn't the case for everyone, and I agree we can get a little over the top - and I don't exclude myself from the list of snappy people - but overall, people really need to learn to look a little before asking. Maybe there are better methods, but none of them seem to work particularly well /glares at big animated search button

just my two cents.

Female Posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   Sun May 31, 2015 3:50 am

O ho? This is rather interesting.

I'm not on much and all I really do is lurk. I don't really scan every thread, but the ones I have looked at do seem rather over the top and have made me a bit on the fence of putting any content here. I'm either half-weary some idjits would forget to give credit and then get their throats ripped out and the other rip my throat out if anything I put up looks remotely like anything else LOL; kinda bummed me out that this place seemed rather hostile since I have far more time on my hands than I'd like to admit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Our Attitude   

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Our Attitude
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: