HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

You Must Log-in to View This Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Does your forum block, restrict or allow access to guests?
Blocks :I
19%
 19% [ 5 ]
Restricts :P
38%
 38% [ 10 ]
Allows :)
35%
 35% [ 9 ]
Don't have a forum 8D
8%
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

AuthorMessage
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:48 am

I need to stop making threads to satisfy my curiosity, but since I couldn't find a thread like this already- and the only responses I've received relating to this were from asking people personally... here it is.

A lot of servers use Proboards to host their forum, and as a result have the ability to lock their forum from Guests (people not logged in)- in which case, people can't see anything unless they sign-up/log-in. 9/10 Proboards forums do this.

A lot of other forums, who DON'T do this, often have most of their boards hidden from Guests' view- but guests can still see important sections that are designed to grab their attention (forum theme, who the staff are, number of members, update board, announcements, screenshots, etc).

And some forums just go 'screw it' and have it all open and viewable by anyone and their dog (and there's nothing wrong with that Smile )

And something I noticed is that a lot of people will simply turn away if they're forced to sign-up on a forum before they can even see what it's about- others don't mind signing up on a forum they may only spend 5 minutes browsing and then close it never to return. Many new servers use Proboards automatically, and enable the block access button and it just makes me curious as to why they decided to do that? I mean there's nothing really wrong with it, I'm just curious.

Which kind of forum is yours, and why did you choose to block/restrict/allow access to guests on your forum? Discuss!

Just as an example, my game's forum (GROWL) restricts access, allowing guests to view the main website, the forum and announcements but restricts access to things like Trading boards, Pride/Cub/Parent finding, fanart and Introductions, etc.

I chose this because I, personally, don't like blocked websites and will turn away from 95% of them- and as far as I know, others might as well... so allowing a little bit of access means they can see some things about GROWL and hopefully decide to join Smile
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:59 am

KITO restricts. All sections are viewable, but login is required to read topics.

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:11 am

Dragon's Den used to be open, but we were getting spammed and the download was being stolen and uploaded elsewhere, so we blocked access entirely until registration for about 2 years.

A few months ago we revised this and simply restricted access to everything except the staff list, rules and the board containing the backstories of the game. They are viewable only.

There hasn't seemed to be much deviation in the new members we've been getting between total block and restriction so... I don't know on that front.

I changed it so the players would be able to get a feel for the community and what we're about without signing up and leaving dead accounts everywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
DavidStrides

Game username : DavidStrides
Server : None
Male Posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:25 am

Dream Devours allows access to both the rules and announcements for guests, I'd like them to get a feel for what our forum is about or if they've come for other reasons they can check the announcements for them. I used to have it to where they were only seeing the legend, if members were online or offline, and the shoutbox. But I know I wouldn't be too attracted to a forum that didn't really show anything or forced me to log in so I felt that other people would feel the same way. It's really understandable if the forum is locked down to guest if, like Obey said, things are happening to cause a disturbance but other than that I don't really see the need for it.
Back to top Go down
Sparkoo
®
®

Game username : Sparkoo
Server : Azoptaos (Co-Owner/Server Host)
Female Posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Azoptaos has restrictions:

The homepage and the Rules board is visible to guests, allowing them to see the server status (online or not), current version, staff, and a few important links, along with what the game is about and other general information. (Forum stats, game stats, in-game screenshots, etc.) It also seemed like a good idea to let users view rules before joining.

Unless I'm very, very interested in a server prior, I don't usually go through with registration unless I can see at least some of the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://azoptaos.boards.net
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 380

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm

I have the forum for Myatar Legends setup with restrictions.

Guests can view and read any threads in the News and Screenshots section. As well as the main disclaimer and rules areas. I think the statistics are also viewable...but I just discovered there's no log-out button to actually double check it. How the heck did that happen? lol (join for the game, stay because you can't log-out. brilliant!)

Personally, I don't sign up to forums where I can't see at least a small portion of what I'm jumping into (in some cases, I won't even look at the forum if the presentation thread on KITO lacks enough info). So I set my forum up with that in mind.

News allows guests to see what is going on with the game; it's progress, and when updates are scheduled. Screenshots let them see more of what the game looks like, from the view of other members. Disclaimer, so they are prepared for the type of content and language they might experience both in-game and on-forum. And rules because....well...thems da rules. More than enough to make an informed decision about joining the forum/game or not. But still keeping some level of privacy for the other members.
Back to top Go down
Five

Game username : Five
Server : Miskai (Co-Owner)
Female Posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Since we use proboards, I have Miskai's forum set so guests can at least see the design/layout; however, the only board visible is the basic information. About, Rules, News, Staff, and most importantly Credits. I feel these are the only thing guests need to see so of course after registration, everything else is accessible.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure our credits list was public so content sharers could simply go to the board without joining and stalking the forum to make sure they get the credit they deserve.

I personally will turn away from a server's forum if I get the "Guests must login" screen. I simply like looking to see if I'll be interested in what I'm joining. Really the only time I will join a forum without seeing it first, is if the game is well known and I know what I'm getting into already.
Back to top Go down
http://miskai.boards.net/
Icea

Game username : Icea
Server : Blazing Wolves (Co-Owner), Tales of Luzaris (Moderator) Canis Lupus (Mapmaker)
Female Posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Im not too sure, but I think my friend's (AutumnLeafDust's) forum allows guests, because of the amount of guests that come on the forum. the download tab on the navigation bar is not viewable by guests (since I put that there) and I might make the download board invisible to guests.
Back to top Go down
Vιrus
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Game username : Virus
Server : Miskai
Female Posts : 486

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 pm

Project Resurgence has the forum open to anyone and everyone who desires to see it, I personally see it as unfair for the forum to block off guests.
Back to top Go down
--Infintiy--
3D Modeler
3D Modeler

Game username : --Infinity--
Server : Ferals Online BR {Owner}
Male Posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:33 am

I used the forum just for resolve problems for over 4 years, but Facebook surpass the forums in facility to reply and communicate that we resolve all on Facebook community on my server

my forum is actually dead *-*

http://impressivetittlebr.createaforum.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
http://thelostferals.wix.com/feralsonline#!home/mainPage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Must Log-in to View This Forum   

Back to top Go down

You Must Log-in to View This Forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-