HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

The point of game, forum and global staff positions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Cloud, Daydream
Server : None
Female Posts : 614

PostSubject: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:49 pm

What I don't understand is the point of global, forum, and game staff. (Mostly mods). One mod group can do that k thanks. Games don't need three. I'm not saying that any game should change the way their staff team is structured, but I'm just curious as to the reason behind three staff groups. The basic groups are: Administrator, Moderator, and possibly Designer/Developer. Why does each group need to be split into three other subgroups when they all do the same thing? It honestly makes it harder. Say there was an issue on the forum and no global or forum mods were on, but a game mod was. Game mods are game mods and they do not have forum powers. So they can't do anything about the issue (like locking the thread) so they can't do their job. Any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
Slain Motionless

Game username : The-Hunted
Server : Aroessa
Female Posts : 431

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 am

I agree, not only can they not assist, but it makes it confusing to members. A mod is a mod, give them both sets of powers and move on. SL has mods & global mods, in-game they share the same powers, but on the forum one is greater.
Back to top Go down
http://aroessa.proboards.com
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 am

Mhm. C:

It's pointless to me to have that many divisions of the same rank. Just one mod group'll do the job thanks
Back to top Go down
Arzulent
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Arzulent
Server : Dragons Den (Member)
Female Posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 am

I like the Idea of Global Moderators, but not Global Administrators.

My "Global" Moderators are seen as the senior much more experienced moderators and are given more responsibility. These are the staff that are likely to advance to the administrator position. They are given both forum and game power, when my moderators only get to choose one based off what they work best with.

Though I don't understand the rank "Global Administrator" at all.
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:33 am

Most higher ranks are either Owner/Co-owner, Admin, and maybe Admin In Training. Razz But that's a good point.
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:57 am

Forum Moderator = A member of the staff team that has limited administrative privileges (powers) in a select few boards/categories.

Global Moderator = A member of the staff team that has limited administrative privileges (powers) in all areas of the forums boards/categories, with possible exceptions of staff zones.

Game Moderator = A member of the staff team that has limited administrator privileges (powers) in the game.

That is what each rank is for. But everyone on IT runs their teams differently, so it is dependent on each team and their leader (the owner or whoever is in charge of managing the team).

Just as an example, I have moderators, global moderators and administrators on my forum.

Moderators = Have very limited powers on the forum in select areas. They also posses very limited powers in the game.

Global Moderators = Have limited powers, globally on the forum. They also possess powers in-game.

Administrators = Have all powers, globally on the forum and throughout the game.

My team does not feature a "design team" as everyone on it is the design team, regardless of position. My team's heirachy is moreso dependent on people I know better and those who've been on longer, so as such I am more willing to promote someone to 'Admin' if I've known them for a long time, they've proven they're capable with their current rank, etc.

But as I said, it is entirely up to you how you define your team and it's rules.
Back to top Go down
Cloud
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 am

Ooh good point. I see where you're going with that. I personally think of Forum and Game mods as extensions of the Mod.
Back to top Go down
Icea

Game username : Icea
Server : Blazing Wolves (Co-Owner), Tales of Luzaris (Moderator) Canis Lupus (Mapmaker)
Female Posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:59 pm

on my server, there is no such thing as game and forum moderators, the moderators on my server are global. (they don't have admin panel rights though)
Back to top Go down
Revaen
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Male Posts : 314

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 pm

In my opinion, rank division may be caused because:
-There is people that has correct behavior for the position, but can't or don't know make content for be considered "Developer".
-There is people that has not correct behavior for the position, despite they possess a good developing knowledge.
-There is people experienced in certain areas, but for others they're completely new.
-There is people experienced in all development areas, and they've a proper professional attitude.

The actual issue with many communities is to find the "Perfect candidate"(last point).It is really difficult because IT is not a famous game that catch many user's attention, which causes have lack of possible candidates who could attempt learn about IT not only in their developtment area but in their administrative are too.

I really think people then assign specific ranks for the type of user applying if they consider they're capable of it...because it's even difficult find good candidates!

In my community, I have three distinct type of 'Staffed' groups:
-Administrator(Global forum and Game powers)
-Moderator(Forum and Game powers, excluding Admin Panel)
-Staff in Training(Forum powers in certain support section.In-game they can kick.)

And a powerless group:
-Developers

Before someone mention the S.I.T rank is "useless since it can't do much in a situation":
The purpose for this position is test the user's candidate to a Moderation position with not only more power, but also more freedom to deal situations by themselves and just report what they did in the Staff report log section.
The S.I.T may only use kick in extreme cases and as last resort, though is preferred for they to report to a Staff regarding any issue.
During a time, if they show a proper behavior to the position, they would be promoted to moderators.

Regarding the Developers:
Developers is a gifted rank forum title(more than rank) for the users who've been contributing the community with providing their content for free and if it's implemented in-game.
This is more like a rank for all that altruist people who can do something for us, but that don't want join the team or can't(responsabilities and a contract).

Administrators/Moderators:
My Administrative team and Moderative team is divided in:
-Forum
-Game
-Community Manager(Undecided yet)

No, all the Administrators have powers, but they can select an area they want work if they consider they're the best in that.If for example, an Administrator reccently promoted chooses to manage Forum area, they will be more keen into do the forum developtment, managing and controling for that area rather than Game.However, this doesn't make them have no Game-related responsibilities, of course they still have them.

My unique purpose for the rank division is more like for allow users feel organized on what they do best so, they don't have the pressure to do something they can't manage very well.

I also have to mention I allow "mixed teams", which is refer to this as two kind of users I accept:
-Professional behavior and Game development experience.
-Professional behavior.

I prefer this over a game developer that have no clue how to manage users and community, no matter how skilled they're.
A user with professional behavior is less usual, as they're only accepted if they're exceptionally good for that section alone.

This is made in order to promote more a better quality Staff with "2x1" rather than just the behavior for the game.

Well, I think that's it.
P.S: Administrator in training? What!? Why would you hire someone totally unexperienced to the Administrative area you're risking the full control management of your community.
Administrator rank should only be given to high-confidence users that you know, not someone probably unknown that's hiring instantly because an application Razz
If they're A.I.T because they're reccently promoted Moderators, better don't do it.It's senseless give something like this to a person you don't even trust in directly give the rank because you're afraid they don't use it effectively; why would you then promote them for?
P,S sorry if necro, I am bored with reccent inactivity
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The point of game, forum and global staff positions   

Back to top Go down

The point of game, forum and global staff positions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: