HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Skeleton and weight painting help?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whitefang

Game username : Whitefang
Female Posts : 22

PostSubject: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:30 am

If this is in the wrong section, please, by all means, move it.

After picking up Blender a while back, I thought it would be all well and good to create a few new IT heads, bodies, and a tail to donate to this server I play. I've already created them, and they are all currently raw .blend files. After contacting the owner of this server about my heads, bodies, and tail, he's informed me that in order for new character customization parts to be used, they must have a skeleton and must be weight painted. Seeing as how I'm quite new to Blender in itself, I don't know how to do these things... But I am determined to get these parts in-game, so I would like to learn how to add skeletons and such so he may have a chance to test them.

The heads and things were created in Blender version 2.73a. Again, I am very, very new at Blender, so, if you can, explain this to me step by step like I'm five years old. Pictures are preferred, as I am a visual learner, but they are not needed like a fish needs its gills.

If needed, these are the messages the owner of the server sent me.

Quote :
However as I said in the PM, these are raw Blend files without weight painting, nor skeletons attached so can not be used in the game.
So unless you can add them to the existing skeletons or find someone who can show you how to do this sadly they are unusable.
I hope you can finish them so we can have another look. I did not check to see if the UV's conformed to the IT format.
Quote :
They must be weight painted to skeletons to be used.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me on this.
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 am

You require blender 2.49b to be able to use the mesh exporter required for the version of Ogre most servers run on. Otherwise you are likely to experience problem after problem trying to export as .mesh and .skeleton in versions accepted by the game engine.

You also require the .blend that contains the skeleton that the game uses. If it uses the oIT body (old one) then there is a download for old blender files here on KITO. If it uses Slycan's bodies/skeletons then you will have to see if they are available for download, alternatively contact the server owner again or request them from Slycan herself.

If they are custom bodies/skeletons that the server uses, you'll need to contact the owner. Using brand new skeletons may result in missing some bones/animations and equipped item displacement.

There are multiple weight-painting tutorials on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 am

Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 am

Back to top Go down
Whitefang

Game username : Whitefang
Female Posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Sorry if I'm very slow to pick this up. I have a hard time understanding things like this, and I tend to understand more with... say... a video instead of words. But I will try my best to understand. The server uses both the original IT body and a few new ones. I don't think they're Sly's, but I may be wrong. If any of you play Dragon's Den, they're those bodies.

Is it possible for me to import the heads/bodies/tail from 2.73a and into 2.49b? Or would I need to start over? And if I can import them, how would I go about getting them all rigged up?

Also, thank you, Slycan, for those links. They will be very helpful.
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:43 am

So long as you didn't use any tools in 2.73a that are not in 2.49b it shouldn't be an issue just reopenining them in 2.49b.

And I see you missed the video is Slycan's first link, which basically shows you everything.
Back to top Go down
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 395

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm

The bodies in DD are modified from the original body mesh found in Magix1.blend. After exporting them, I just swapped out what skeleton they were linked to so that they used the one DD already has (ie a skeleton that has more animations than magix1 has saved in it).
Back to top Go down
lazyzim

™

Server : Dragon's Den
Male Posts : 756

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:19 pm

Worse case you can export them as Obj format and import them into Blender 2.49b.
Since they do not currently have skeletons or weight painting nothing will be lost.
~Lazyzim~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton and weight painting help?   

Back to top Go down

Skeleton and weight painting help?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support :: Solved Support Issues-
Jump to: