HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

I have recently banned a player from Dragon's Den for 360 days for breaking several of our rules, inlcuding our biggest rule of 'one account per person'.

Here's how the last of the conversation went:

Me: Let me break it down for you. Harassing another player will get you banned for a month. Having a second account will get you banned for a month. Having 3 extra accounts...well... You are currently banned for a year and your lack of satisfactory explanations is not helping.

Player: BECAUSE I WANTED SOME FUN I WAS BORED GOD YOU DIDNT NEED TO BAN ME YOU COULD AT LEAST BAN ME FOR LIKE 2 DAYS

In light of their...enthusiastic reply, I started wondering...

What do people consider a punishment suitable in proportion to the crime? What is too harsh and what is too light?

Players plead, beg, guilt trip and say all sorts of sob stories that usually get their punishment reduced if not wiped completely.

But...do they learn anything if you go easy on them? We've had quite a few players we've given second and third chances to, but they keep proving they have learned nothing from the reduced time they were banned and end up banned again for the same reasons. What good is a punishment if the player punished doesn't learn from it? Would the player mentioned above have learned not to break DD's rules if they were banned for only 2 days? To me, that is a light slap on the wrist and they'll go straight back to their old ways.

If a player is bullying another - full on harassment - then on DD they get a warning. If they persist they get kicked. If they still persist they get banned for a month. Is that too harsh, too light or suitable?

What do you guys think on this issue? Are servers dealing out suitable punishments to fit the crimes? I would like to hear your opinions.

~Obey~
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
Meadowstar

Game username : Meadowstar (or sometimes Meadowstar01)
Female Posts : 1167

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 am

Overall, I've seen quite a few servers who were or are not harsh enough, and I've seen a few that seem to be reasonable. It seems to vary depending on who is managing the server, and how it's being managed.

While I think that could've been a little bit on the harsh side (then again, it depends on how bad their behavior was. They seemed pretty rude in your example. I don't think that one would be considered a completely unfair punishment, however), I've seen what tends to happen if it's not strict enough, or if the punishments are handed out unfairly. Things usually go downhill from there. 

So in conclusion, my opinion is that it should be rather strict, but not too much so. Not strict enough, then that goes downhill, and too much so can go downhill too.

P.S. I think your punishment was a little rough, but I've seen worse. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. But depending on how bad the behavior was, then I would just warn them, and then ban if they continued. But first I would ban them for a shorter time, so that they can have a chance to come back and would've learned from it. If they continued, then I would go with the longer ban. Just a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 am

Thanks for your thoughts. :3 Yes, it may seem harsh, but that person had a video on YouTube moaning over the fact that they got banned and blamed another player. Unfortunately, this banned player had an account by the same name using a letter instead of a number as the player they were blaming and was harassing people.

I gave them multiple chances to explain and they cried, tried to guilt trip me then resorted to screaming at me in caps. I will take your suggestion into consideration. If they'd have simply explained in a civil manner, I would have taken the ban down to a month, but the 4 times I asked I got excuses and abuse.

I will keep your words in mind next time something like this happens.

Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:48 am

Perma ban until you decide they can be part of your community. You shouldn't have to learn to be respectful of little pricks, they should have to learn to respect you, as it's your game/forum.

That, or keep a blind eye to everything because that's exactly what they will say you are doing the moment you let them get away with it just even once.

A Warning is just that, a WARNING, you shouldn't be warning someone with another warning. It should be as simple as 1- Warning, 2-Good Bye

Your system is just fine, not harsh at all, though I'd skip the 'kick' thing all together and just tell them " do it again and you won't be enjoying this game anymore"
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Ban until you forgot why you banned q:

Game username : Casting
Server : Miskai
Female Posts : 114

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Honestly, I think you handled the situations just fine and the punishments seem reasonable.
On my forum there was a person who broke many rules once and I banned them permanently. After that situation everyone followed the rules without a problem.

I agree with Sly that you should skip the kick part. Instead just warn them and if they are still not following the rules, ban them for a reasonable amount of time. Since Kicking just makes the user leave the game for 1 second, they can come back and cause the issue again.

Sometimes being slightly harsh can change the rule-breaking situation(s).
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:06 am

Skip the kicking? You may have a point there. Kicking is like a warning and doesn't really do much unless you're trying to get back a stolen item.

I've noticed that the harsher punishments always get the users to sit up and pay attention. Thanks for the input guys!

"Ban until you forgot why you banned q:" Subtle, RedEye, subtle. XD
Back to top Go down
Casting

Game username : Casting
Server : Miskai
Female Posts : 114

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Yeah xD
If you are harsher on one person it effects everyone and there will be no problems.

(That's what I did and no one broke a rule again)
Back to top Go down
Dead Account

Male Posts : 531

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:18 am

I can just like
imagine
slycan bitchslapping people who break rules
anyWAYS
ihavenopiniononthissob
Back to top Go down
vooxyx

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 am

If you're on a crowded game (think 100+ active players in one map all talking at once in one chat) then I don't see what's wrong with two - three warnings. If after that they didn't get the hint then a ban is in order. Never feel bad for enforcing the rules. When someone joins they should read all of the important information first. If they continue to participate then it's safe to assume they've read your rules and know that they shouldn't be breaking them. Thus kick/ban deserved.
Back to top Go down
Dead Account

Male Posts : 531

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

vooxyx wrote:
If you're on a crowded game (think 100+ active players in one map all talking at once in one chat) then I don't see what's wrong with two - three warnings. If after that they didn't get the hint then a ban is in order. Never feel bad for enforcing the rules. When someone joins they should read all of the important information first. If they continue to participate then it's safe to assume they've read your rules and know that they shouldn't be breaking them. Thus kick/ban deserved.
This thread is really old.
Back to top Go down
vooxyx

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 pm

The last post is from Feb 23rd of this year. That's only a couple of months ago. I don't see how offering my input on the thread is any less valuable because it's a few months late.
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 am

If someone wants to lock this thread, they can, but this is the sort of discussion that is ongoing as long as there are IT servers around. I dunno, I'm not staff on KITO. Up to them.

I decided to get a little tougher. I still warn people, sometimes kick, but I'm a lot quicker to ban now.

It seems to be working. The banlist is quite long, but those that come off it to play again seem to have far better manners.

There will always be those that disregard rules and act up and whine about how mean you are, you nasty staff member, you.

If those players think they can play on your server and disrespect your rules, they're wrong. You've basically invited them into your house and you have full authority to kick them out for however long you wish.

Be fair - look into both sides and make sure you have as much info as possible before you do something big. But be tough - having a server open to the public is a gift for them as it's free. If they abuse that gift, they don't get to play anymore.

As least that's what I've learned from this.

~Obey~
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

Game username : Meadowstar (or sometimes Meadowstar01)
Female Posts : 1167

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:41 pm

I know this is an old thread, but this just reminded me-

The same thing goes for if you were to run a business too. You have to be harsh about it, and about who is on your staff team and who isn't, or else things can go terribly wrong. I've seen many servers and businesses disregard this- And as a result, they went downhill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?   

Back to top Go down

Suitable Punishments? Too harsh or not enough?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: