HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Has this ever occurred to you guys before?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Meadowstar

Game username : Meadowstar (or sometimes Meadowstar01)
Female Posts : 1167

PostSubject: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Sun May 05, 2013 12:04 am

I was not sure where to put this, so if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

Anyhow, I'm going to discuss something here that I've been seeing for too long.

For one thing, I understand if there's cool new content out, but must the servers get all competitive about it? Have people forgotten the meaning of Impressive Title? A year ago, I never used to see this all the time. Now, most of what you see here are people literally RUSHING for the new content, hackers, and most of all, thieves.

During my time on other servers, I learned that IT is not about the content, but about the people. Where has that gone? Where do you think IT will be going with this?

This is the point I'm trying to make. One cannot simply try and make the "biggest and the best" server all in hopes of status and simply being an admin. IT never has, and never will work that way.

I'm not saying that all servers do this. In fact, some servers even still give me hope for IT. But as it is headed this way, people really need to stop and think about this. Hopefully you guys get the gist I'm trying to make.
Back to top Go down
Virus.

Game username : Virus
Server : Final Tale
Female Posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Sun May 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Oh dear God. yes.
I know exactly what you're talking about, and I hate it, too.
Yes, I know, people do pay for items and prey and stuff to be in their client- but it's still a mere game.
It's nothing to get competitive about. Shameful to see what the IT community has turned into.
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Game username : Rusty
Server : Impressive Elements/DerilectFactory(Private)
Female Posts : 88

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Sun May 05, 2013 4:43 pm

As soon as a server adds an item that's the same from a video game, someone has to go and throw a fit about it too. Also, updates come to a server and within a few days another server adds more items and prey just to overcrowd and clutter their server with completely unimpressive and huge prey to troll players and to peev them off. Everyone wants the best server, tons of players and plenty of fame so they can be asked and followed when they are I game which I know a variety of staff from some servers do,
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Sun May 05, 2013 11:16 pm

I really just don't get it. Competing for the most "impressive" server (See what I did there?), pretty much gains nothing. The only result of it is lag, hackers, thieves, and people who are absolutely greedy for pixels (You can say "pixel-hungry").

If there's no point to it, then why do it in the first place? There are servers who have literally SHUT DOWN because of this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 pm

I 100% dont understand why admins and 3D modelers support only online servers,and now,100 % support only Last Moon and make everything only for Last Moon,and test everything only in Last Moon....and waaaah...Last Moon everywhere T__T

So...all people can close or stop making servers,because everyone 100 % love and play only Last Moon

And...we can stop making models,because Last Moon have everything ._.

Sorry,If I sound angry or hatefully

Im only....neutrally sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Komaeda Nagito
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Server : IE
Male Posts : 1320

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I feel compelled to bring in my two cents since i keep having people on skype linking me to this thread god only knows why.

No matter how many freaking modifications you make IT is IT its not a new game its just another server with some add ons here an there and even the new add ons are based on Items and prey which seems to be the basis for IT.

People are going to compete especially when its a limited community if you look at each game its basically like dejavu you see the same people maybe some new ones nabbed from FH here and there.

As for (c) items those shouldn't be put into your game client because they are Copyrighted. If you want to add one in write a nice letter to the company and ask permission or check their copyright rules. If I owned a company I wouldn't want people just copying my ideas or models and throwing them into their own work you need to look at this from different views, plus it would be nice to see [/i]Originality[i] for once instead of copying someone elses design make your own. Heck look around you look at nature itself theres lots of inspiration that can be pulled if you look hard enough.

As for the last post, People work hard on their meshes and working for games who honestly aren't getting anywhere or aren't going to because lack of a good team or skill to improve the game whats the point in modeling for free for a game thats getting no where while the modeler could work for a game with actual progress or are paying their team like SOE does? If you want a coder best thing to do is stop complaining learn yourself or find someone out there willing to work with you or at least guide you in the right directions.

LM DD and SOE actually have a memberbase because they have made themselves stand out from the rest and done something to try and be different.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

Game username : FagonStar
Server : Impressive Whatchamacallit
Female Posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Death The Kid wrote:
I feel compelled to bring in my two cents since i keep having people on skype linking me to this thread god only knows why.

No matter how many freaking modifications you make IT is IT its not a new game its just another server with some add ons here an there and even the new add ons are based on Items and prey which seems to be the basis for IT.

People are going to compete especially when its a limited community if you look at each game its basically like dejavu you see the same people maybe some new ones nabbed from FH here and there.

As for (c) items those shouldn't be put into your game client because they are Copyrighted. If you want to add one in write a nice letter to the company and ask permission or check their copyright rules. If I owned a company I wouldn't want people just copying my ideas or models and throwing them into their own work you need to look at this from different views, plus it would be nice to see [/i]Originality[i] for once instead of copying someone elses design make your own. Heck look around you look at nature itself theres lots of inspiration that can be pulled if you look hard enough.

As for the last post, People work hard on their meshes and working for games who honestly aren't getting anywhere or aren't going to because lack of a good team or skill to improve the game whats the point in modeling for free for a game thats getting no where while the modeler could work for a game with actual progress or are paying their team like SOE does? If you want a coder best thing to do is stop complaining learn yourself or find someone out there willing to work with you or at least guide you in the right directions.

LM DD and SOE actually have a memberbase because they have made themselves stand out from the rest and done something to try and be different.

It's not the same game, it's different interpretations of the same game.

I will admit that people have a tendency to be competitive, but I wouldn't exactly call the IT community a "limited" community.

About copyright, I'm guessing you've never heard of "fair use"? Also trying to write a letter to a company will(literally) get you nowhere, unless you are willing to burn up money on a lawyer. Most companies actually don't care, and when they pretend to, it's just them trying to intimidate actual potential thieves or pirates(intimidation is illegal, by the way). Originality would be nice, now wouldn't it, but trying to be 100% 'originalz' will only end up with you making something stupid. There is nothing wrong with borrowing an idea and adding on to it. (The idea of a warrior cat >>>> Anthropomorphic animals with swords) Also, wouldn't copying nature be copying something? It's not copying a human, but it's still technically copying. Razz

LM, DD and SOE are special even though their just "another IT game with add-ons"(just talking about what you said, that's not what I think). I find it interesting how you talked so highly about being so original, but fantasy is one of the least original things out there. Fantasy is still awesome, but it's not exactly "original". :3

Sorry, I just felt like I had to say something.

Last edited by FagonStar on Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : My grammars, LOL.)
Back to top Go down
Komaeda Nagito
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Server : IE
Male Posts : 1320

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Naw your fine fagon everyone has a right to their opinions im just highly irritated right now so probably should have just avoided the thread and ignored the idiots on my friend list.

I apologies if I came off rude getting tired of people nagging me to get on here its very irritating. It still wouldnt hurt to try and be original instead of using Video game based Items. For those who like history they could make armor weapons or devices as items from past wars I've seen some intresting gun designs.

Those 3 servers actually tried to be different and worked hard which is why they have as many members as they do all im tring to say 8U
Back to top Go down
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 380

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Players are fickle. They will leave a server if it goes 'too long' between updates. They constantly push and demand for new things. They get bored so fast in this age of instant gratification. It does put a strain on servers to pump out more updates. It's not always about keeping up with the Jones'. (though I have witnessed first hand a few occurrences of "they just updated. quickly! we must shove this update out yesterday!")

Players and servers are both responsible for this seeming 'content war' (or whatever). It's bothersome, yes. But it's not going anywhere for a long time. Not while players are still making servers feel bad when they don't update every 2 weeks.

------------------

I also am annoyed at this trend of not helping anyone who isn't already online. You pick and prod at servers for not being unique. But they haven't got that much of a chance to be otherwise without a little help. A 100% online server with an active player base will never happen with the out of the box stuff that's available to everyone. No-ones interested in joining a server who's only tag-line is "the same crap as everyone else and friendly staff!". That little bit of extra help can go a long way.

------------------

Quote :
Originality would be nice, now wouldn't it, but trying to be 100% 'originalz' will only end up with you making something stupid.

Cutting in deep, bro. cutting in deep.

It's not hard to be original in design, function, and content when given the chance. That line goes back to the lack of help being made available.

I don't think any server should rely on content from other games. I get it, you're a fan. Doesn't make it right. So the content may be better (honestly I don't think that myself), but so is most of the content you can find in places like TurboSquid. (anything worth having, is worth paying for. be it energy, time, or money)

I don't give a flying shit about "fair use". Taking something from another persons hard work just so you can churn out another dime-a-dozen server is wrong. I'm not speaking about legalities. Moralities. If you have no qualms taking something from a game to "make your server sparkle", what other things are you okay with? That thought scares me a bit.

So often I see the members here give the same answers over and over. "if you want to make a server, read the tutorial and do your own work".

But few take their own advice. If you want new content that isn't on other servers, do your own work.

It's far more rewarding.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Hamilton wrote:
Quote :
Originality would be nice, now wouldn't it, but trying to be 100% 'originalz' will only end up with you making something stupid.

Cutting in deep, bro. cutting in deep.

It's not hard to be original in design, function, and content when given the chance. That line goes back to the lack of help being made available.

I don't think any server should rely on content from other games. I get it, you're a fan. Doesn't make it right. So the content may be better (honestly I don't think that myself), but so is most of the content you can find in places like TurboSquid. (anything worth having, is worth paying for. be it energy, time, or money)

I don't give a flying shit about "fair use". Taking something from another persons hard work just so you can churn out another dime-a-dozen server is wrong. I'm not speaking about legalities. Moralities. If you have no qualms taking something from a game to "make your server sparkle", what other things are you okay with? That thought scares me a bit.

So often I see the members here give the same answers over and over. "if you want to make a server, read the tutorial and do your own work".

But few take their own advice. If you want new content that isn't on other servers, do your own work.

It's far more rewarding.

Basically everything has been done before, so it's virtually impossible to be 100% original(there's a reason why certain things haven't been done, for example; the neck basket).

I never said servers should rely 100% on other video game content, now did I? ;D

Plus a good amount of the stuff you find on free model sites are from video games and not everyone can afford fancy-shmancy objects made on pay-to-use sites(nor can most people make 3d objects and it takes time to learn, not saying that it isn't worth it, just pointing out facts).

I don't really recall saying anything about making servers sparkle. 8P

No, there is nothing wrong with using one dragon model from WoW.

Also, I'm guessing I'm Satan just because I don't find anything wrong with "fair use" policy.

I NEVER said you shouldn't make your own content.

All I did was mention "fair use". :3

Edit: It's just common courtesy to not use something when someone asks you not to.

If your wondering yes, I can respect if someone specifically says they don't want their content used. :/

Last edited by FagonStar on Mon May 06, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 pm

It's difficult and yet not required to use an open source software and alter it completely

People work for certain servers only for many reasons. Lm has auto updater, currency and more playable species which simply other servers don't provide. Soe pays their team members which other servers seem to never do to show appreciation for hard work.

If you want to see a new game I. T servers are not it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 am

Last Moon have all body parts what you made,Sly

And yes,Last Moon have a Pony model ( I think Nowe have Pony model before LM )

I think everyone now prefer Last Moon

And...Last Moon dont have a Pony body ( I think,I dont play on LM )

This is bad,we dont know what another server made...

I made a Pony body,now only for RoW...
I think...Uh,I know SoE,DD and LM have lots of members,great staff team and teamwork,but I still think,all I.T players prefer now only Last Moon
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Do any other servers besides LM have a body selector?
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Slycan wrote:

Yes. It's Bloodline.

But why should that matter? Not to be rude, but in my opinion, it's not just the content that makes up a good server. It's the people.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Meadowstar wrote:
Slycan wrote:

Yes. It's Bloodline.

But why should that matter? Not to be rude, but in my opinion, it's not just the content that makes up a good server. It's the people.

In my opinion, it's the content and the people.

Interesting content and friendly people will allow everyone to have fun. :3
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

It matters because people don't want to waste their time downloading a server that doesn't arouse one interest. Is there an issue with not wanting to be stuck with the same thing under a different title?
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Slycan wrote:
It matters because people don't want to waste their time downloading a server that doesn't arouse one interest. Is there an issue with not wanting to be stuck with the same thing under a different title?

Actually, you do have a point there, Sly. Surely nobody wants to see "little boxes" out of IT servers... (What I mean by "little boxes" is a song reference. In other words, I refer to that song when I'm talking about things being exactly the same.)
Back to top Go down
Virus.

Game username : Virus
Server : Final Tale
Female Posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Yeah, this is true. I once downloaded a promising looking server (not going to say what server), but all it was was a different layout (background1, background2, etc).
But nothing else was changed. Music stayed the same, maps stayed the same...
So I deleted it.
I really hate to see many servers like that. Only a select few actually have the originality and decency to take time into their clients to make it seem promising.

But yes, you're right- the community also takes a big role in determining the decency of the server, as well. I agree on that.
Back to top Go down
Lovebug (Tara)

Game username : Lovebug
Server : Impressive Game
Female Posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 28, 2013 3:30 pm

True, People are getting overly attached to content. When really you could have the crappiest content and have the nicest staff, and players. I assure that most people would want to stick around despite the content. I mean seriously now, If your life, as an IT player or staff, depends on content I am sorry but I don't think your getting far with that. Sure your server will get up, people will be there. But is it going to be a generally happy and fun server? No. It may be popular but all the best players of IT will steer clear from that server, Best as in nicest. So does content matter, Not quite, You need some good content but don't obsess over it, Just have fun. I am sorry but I needed to say this, Have a good day everyone.
Back to top Go down
Meadowstar

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm

lovebug wrote:
True, People are getting overly attached to content. When really you could have the crappiest content and have the nicest staff, and players. I assure that most people would want to stick around despite the content. I mean seriously now, If your life, as an IT player or staff, depends on content I am sorry but I don't think your getting far with that. Sure your server will get up, people will be there. But is it going to be a generally happy and fun server? No. It may be popular but all the best players of IT will steer clear from that server, Best as in nicest. So does content matter, Not quite, You need some good content but don't obsess over it, Just have fun. I am sorry but I needed to say this, Have a good day everyone.

This is exactly what I was trying to point out. So what if you have the most content? The most content doesn't necessarily mean a good server. What people are forgetting here, is that IT is not just about fancy pixels. It's also about the people. As an example, a server can have absolutely amazing content, but the staff and the people there can be utterly rude. A mismanaged server is what you can call it. Do you think that alot of people would want to stay there then? No. If you don't have good people/good staff, then you don't have a good server, despite all the awesome content. Just think beyond the content for once. If you really think that body selectors and quest systems will make any IT server superior to the others, then think again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has this ever occurred to you guys before?   

Back to top Go down

Has this ever occurred to you guys before?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: