HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Content that got released with the source

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Well?
All content that KovuLKD released with the source should be allowed to be edited by server owners.
71%
 71% [ 10 ]
Permission should be given from the original creator of the content that came with the source before being edited in any server.
29%
 29% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
RakshaWw

Game username : RakshaWw
Server : Last Moon
Female Posts : 139

PostSubject: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Well.
We want to edit all maps that are in Last Moon, aka all the maps that came with the compile.
Before being at risk of being flamed by people of the KITO community, I wanted to ask what your opinion is on this topic:

KovuLKD said anyone can use IT related stuff for everything and anything we want.
I also thought that applies to Private Items he released with the source but obviously those have been removed, oh well.
Once stuff was given to him to put in IT, I believe they were made his property once they were added.

My main question is...
Will Last Moon be removing all maps/content that came with the source that we apparently 'don't' have permission to edit or will we just go ahead and freely edit them to our desire, since that's what the owner of this games source has said we can do.

Back to top Go down
http://www.rakshaww.deviantart.com
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 380

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm

My general feel is: if you know the maps original maker, and/or they have made a verbal/public mention regarding the use and alteration of their map, you should always respect their wishes.

Certain maps released in kovu's data, the original makers are still hanging around. Even have updated versions available to servers. I don't think it's right to snatch up those updated versions and then make alterations to them. Those updated versions are not a part of kovu's data. They belong to the original map-maker. and they should never be tampered with without permission.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:20 pm

I say get rid of all the old maps, make new ones :3
avoid cries/
Back to top Go down
CWalk_43
Watched

Game username : CWalk43
Server : Sanctum of Eventide Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:38 pm

If Kovu said that new servers are allowed to edit everything that came with the IT compile, then they should be allowed to do so. If he did not care to check with those selfish private item owners or original map-makers before, then the fault lies with him, not with a server owner who decides to edit their map then all of a sudden gets attacked by the ghosts of people from a game long past. Strictly speaking of maps, I agree that if they were already willingly donated and made apart of IT before it went down, I would think that it is the property of Kovu and he has to right to redistribute and allow them to be edited if he wishes.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you are in any way squeamish about people using your willingly-donated/free art for their own use, you shouldn't be handing out free art at all. Or at least have a more responsible system or a good reason ready for when people want to use your shit that you willingly gave away.

My above statements do not deal with updated versions to maps (which are alterations to IT maps in and of themselves), those should be treated as custom maps and the original map-makers still do have control over them since they were not publicly released in any source code.

Creating all-new maps to solve potential crises is your best bet, though, yes

I have voted for "All content that KovuLKD released with the source should be allowed to be edited by server owners."

And this is only content that Kovu has released with the source.
Back to top Go down
http://sanctumofeventide.us/
FagonStar

Game username : FagonStar
Server : Impressive Whatchamacallit
Female Posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm

CWalk_43 wrote:
If Kovu said that new servers are allowed to edit everything that came with the IT compile, then they should be allowed to do so. If he did not care to check with those selfish private item owners or original map-makers before, then the fault lies with him, not with a server owner who decides to edit their map then all of a sudden gets attacked by the ghosts of people from a game long past. Strictly speaking of maps, I agree that if they were already willingly donated and made apart of IT before it went down, I would think that it is the property of Kovu and he has to right to redistribute and allow them to be edited if he wishes.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you are in any way squeamish about people using your willingly-donated/free art for their own use, you shouldn't be handing out free art at all. Or at least have a more responsible system or a good reason ready for when people want to use your shit that you willingly gave away.

My above statements do not deal with updated versions to maps (which are alterations to IT maps in and of themselves), those should be treated as custom maps and the original map-makers still do have control over them since they were not publicly released in any source code.

Creating all-new maps to solve potential crises is your best bet, though, yes

I have voted for "All content that KovuLKD released with the source should be allowed to be edited by server owners."

And this is only content that Kovu has released with the source.

I'm actually with CWalk_43, to be honest.

If you are really sensitive about how your art is used, don't donate it to the public.

Especially for a free, open source game.

About the updated maps, yeah, they should be treated as custom maps and not edited without permission.

Because they didn't come with the game or source code itself. :p
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Male Posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Kovu only released the source for free usage. Not the content.

Watched

Game username : CWalk43
Server : Sanctum of Eventide Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:04 pm

So the media folder did not originally come with the IT source release?

That may change things...
Back to top Go down
http://sanctumofeventide.us/
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm

I still hold my opinion though.

Otherwise, I'm sure re-texturing and such would go under the same as map editing.

When you donate your things for the public, it will be used by the public.

Also, things that weren't given to the original IT should be treated as custom.
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Male Posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

The content kito provides through the source download is filtered against http://www.kitopen.com/t29-private-items-which-are-okay-and-which-arn-t

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:59 am

Quote from Kovu:
Quote :
Impressive Title media:
probably floating somewhere on the internet, see if you can get from friends who still, amazingly,
keep a version of IT.

So basically he knows we would be using the media.
He would have included it if he had it on him when he released the code.
But if that's not the case and we're not allowed to edit anything, why does the compile come with any media at all?
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 am

Don't think the games would work without a media folder?
Back to top Go down
RakshaWw

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Sorry a better way i should have said that is Why does it have content from people who are still in the KITO community whom don't want their stuff edited.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:06 pm

-I think you mean the Impressive Title community-

To be honest, I have no idea.

He knew perfectly well that the media from the original IT would be used and edited and even said to use it instead of telling us to just find/make out own content.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:30 am

Private items were made for by/for people specifically when Impressive Title was one, single server. No one knew back then that, in a few years time, we would have multiple servers. It would only be respectful to take out any material not made by KovuLKD (upon request) or not made for public use in the original I.T. server (unless permission has been granted).

I mean, it just comes down to respect, really. Which I would hope you all have to some extent. /:

Quote :
Why does it have content from people who are still in the KITO community whom don't want their stuff edited.

Redeye made a new compile, didn't he? Perhaps when he isn't busy or has the time to do so, he could remove any material that has been requested be removed.

I don't mind my maps being edited or removed. Just please place credit where credit is due. :3
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:34 am

1st task would be finding out who does and doesn't care about their content being editted, beyond what was posted here which would include maps http://www.kitopen.com/t29-private-items-which-are-okay-and-which-arn-t

2nd task, which would be impossible, is to get all these servers to respect peoples wishes to have their content removed, No Edits, or with permission... or what ever else they can come up with..from members that have submitted all content from last 3 years.

3rd task, get these servers that are already running to actually be their own original games instead of IT duplicates and wanna-be remakes of each other. This means remaking maps and items, and getting rid of old ones, especially listed.

Yeah good luck :3

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:44 am

If they haven't come forward by now, then I would safe it's safe to assume they don't care (unless it's a private item, in which I would assume they do care). If they do come forward later, requesting their stuff be removed, then it's a relatively simple task to do so. There should be no problems or drama from such a thing.

(So in short, if it's a map or texture, I would safely assume to use it if they haven't asked me to by now. But if it was a private item at once, there was a reason for that, and I'll respect that until they tell me I can use it for the public.)

It's not impossible. It's just a lot of work. If you're hosting an I.T server, it can be safely assumed that you're already familiarized with the work of running a successful I.T. server. And when confronted by someone who would like their material to be removed, it's just polite to respect their wishes. Don't be lazy.

And if any server doesn't remove content? Just... don't go on their server? xD It makes them disrespectful and impolite.

If someone can make their own game -- and I mean a whole new game. No body changer or map re-do's, -- using the I.T. code, then I congratulate them. I would love to see more games out there. <3
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:01 am

It's mostly servers that are hosted by persons underage or don't speak English well that have caused most problems. The main servers like SOE, Last Moon, Kingdom Skies, and Dragon Den have been trying really hard to please members request, especially when they randomly decide they no longer want their content to be used.

The question has been brought up as to how we filter who gets the source code but that's the impossible part I speak of, as IT and KITO are as the title says, " Open" Source >:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm very glad to hear that then. As for the foreign servers, the best we can offer is to translate what we ask/request and ask politely a second time that they do as we ask. If they refuse, the best we can hope for then is that they have the common courtesy to, at the very least, place credit where credit is due. We can't control the actions over others, but we can influence them. Through being helpful, respectful and polite to one another.

I wouldn't necessarily say filter who does, or doesn't, get the source code. Especially seeing as, you said, it's open source. But I think that's another subject completely?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Content that got released with the source   

Back to top Go down

Content that got released with the source
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Server-Related-
Jump to: